All Lewis entries for Touaghty



Touaghty

More information on Samuel Lewis' Topographical Dictionary of Ireland (1837)
Accompanying Lewis map for Mayo

BALLYGLASS

BALLYGLASS, a village and post-town, in the parish of TOWAGHTY, barony of CARRA, county of MAYO, and province of CONNAUGHT, 8? miles (S. E. by S.) from Castlebar, and 116 miles (W. by N.) from Dublin, on the road from Hollymount to Castlebar: the population is returned with the parish. Petty sessions are held every alternate Friday in a small court-house; and it is a station of the constabulary police. In the vicinity are several gentlemen's seats, which are noticed in the account of the parish.

TOWAGHTY

TOWAGHTY, a parish, ia the barony of CARRA, county of MAYO, and province of CONNAUGHT, On the road from Castlebar to Hollymount ; containing, with the post-town of Ballyglass (which see), 1258 inhabitants, and comprising 3200 statute acres of good land, with but very little bog. Petty sessions are held at Ballyglass, which is also a constabulary police station. Within the parish is Tower-Hill, the beautiful seat of Major Blake, situated in a noble demesne ; the house stands on an eminence commanding fine views of the surrounding country and the adjacent mountains of Partree. The living is a rectory, in the diocese of Tuam, entirely appropriate to the vicars choral of St. Patrick's, Dublin ; the tithes amount to £60. The duties are performed by the curate of Balla, in the church of Drum. In the R. C. divisions it forms part of the union or district of Ballintobber.


Irish Times subscribers | | John Grenham | | Sitemap | | Login | | Subscribe | | Contact | | FAQs | | What's new?| | Privacy policy

Copyright © John Grenham 2021