All Lewis entries for Moygawnagh



Moygawnagh

More information on Lewis' Topographical Dictionary of Ireland (1837)



Accompanying Lewis map for Mayo


MAGAUNAGH

MAGAUNAGH, or MOYGAWNA, a parish, in the barony of TYRAWLEY, county of MAYO, and province of CONNAUGHT, 7 miles (S. W.) from Killala, on the road from Crossmolina to Ballycastle ; containing 1981 inhabitants. This parish is situated on the river Awenmore, and comprises 4100 statute acres ; the land is light, chiefly under tillage, with some pasture, and great quantities of bog and mountain ; limestone abounds. The principal seats are Belleville, the residence of Capt. W. Orme ; Glenmore, of W. Orme, Esq. ; and Stonehall, of T. Knox, Esq. It is a vicarage, in the diocese of Killala, forming part of the union of Crossmolina ; the rectory is partly appropriate to the precentorship of Killala, and partly to the vicars choral of Christ-Church, Dublin. The tithes amount to #110, of which #35. 10. is payable to the vicars choral, #19. 10. to the precentor, and #55 to the vicar. The R. C. parish is co-extensive with that of the Established Church ; the chapel is small and in bad repair. About 70 children are educated in a public and about 10 in a private school.


Irish Times subscribers | | John Grenham | | Sitemap | | Login | | Subscribe | | Contact | | FAQs | | What's new?| | Privacy policy

Copyright © John Grenham 2020 Do NOT follow this link or you will be banned from the site!