All Lewis entries for Kilmolara



Kilmolara

More information on Samuel Lewis' Topographical Dictionary of Ireland (1837)
Accompanying Lewis map for Mayo

KILMOLARA

KILMOLARA, a parish, in the barony of KILMAIN, county of MAYO, and province of CONNAUGHT, 2- miles (S.) from Ballinrobe, on the road to Cong ; containing 1350 inhabitants. It is situated on Lough Mask, and comprises about 2000 statute acres, principally in tilage ; there are some fine limestone quarries. Neale Park is the handsome house and demesne of Lord Kilmaine. The living is a rectory and vicarage, in the diocese of Tnam, united to the rectories and vicarages of Ballincalla and Ross, and in the patronage of the Bishop: the tithes amount to £200, and of the benefice to £945. The glebe-house and glebe of the union are in Ballincalla. The church, a neat plain building with a square tower, is situated in the parish of Cong. close to the boundary of this parish: it is the property of Lord Kilmaine, and has been recently repaired by a grant of £125 from the Ecclesiastical Commissioners. In the R. C. divisions the parish is the head of a union or district, called the Neale, comprising also the parish of Ballincalla ; the chapel is at the Neale. There is a public school, in which about 80, and a private school in which about 100, children are educated. In the Neale park are some remarkable antiquities, particularly a stone on which are carved the figure of an unicorn opposite to a man surrounded With a glory, and a lion below them. According to an inscription beneath this stone, it was found in a cave near the spot, and the figures Were the gods worshipped here by Edda and Con, after the latter of whom Connaught was named: the figures were called in Irish "Dine Feale," or "Gods of Felicity," from Which the place was called Nehale, or "The Neale."

NEALE

NEALE, a village, in the parish of KILMOLARA, barony of KILMAINE, county of MAYO, and province of CONNAUGHT, 2? miles (S.) from Ballinrobe, on the road to Cong ; the population is returned with the parish. This place, which is usually called " The Neale," is a constabulary police station, and has fairs on Feb. 5th, May 6th, Aug. 4th, and Nov. 5th. Immediately adjoining is Neale Park, a seat of Lord Kilmaine : the grounds, which are very extensive, contain some curious monuments, noticed under the head of Kilmolara. In the R. C. divisions Neale gives name to the union or district, comprising the parishes of Kilmolara and Ballinchalla, and contains the only chapel in the district.


Irish Times subscribers | | John Grenham | | Sitemap | | Login | | Subscribe | | Contact | | FAQs | | What's new?| | Privacy policy

Copyright © John Grenham 2021