All Lewis entries for Kilmeena



Kilmeena

More information on Samuel Lewis' Topographical Dictionary of Ireland (1837)
Accompanying Lewis map for Mayo

CREVENISH

CREVENISH, an island, in the parish of KILMINA, barony of BURRISHOOLE, county of MAYO, and province of CONNAUGHT, 6 miles (S. W.) from Newport-Pratt ; containing about 20 inhabitants. It is situated on Clew bay, and is the property of the Marquess of Sligo.

DERENNISH

DERENNISH, or DOURINCH, an island, in the parish of KILMINA, barony of BURRISHOOLE, county of MAYO, and province of CONNAUGHT, 5 miles (S. W.) from Newport-Pratt : the population is returned with the parish. It is situated in Clew bay, and contains 52 statute acres, the property of the Marquess of Sligo.

DORINCH

DORINCH, an island, in the parish of KILMINA, barony of BURRISHOOLE, county of MAYO, and province of CONNAUGHT, 5 miles (W.) from Westport ; the population is returned with the parish. It is situated in Clew bay : in its vicinity is the smaller island called Dorinchbeg, and to the north is the bar at the entrance of Westport bay.

INISHGUIT

INISHGUIT, or INNISGORT, an island, in the parish of KILMINA, barony of BURRISHOOLE, county of MAYO, and province of CONNAUGHT, 5 miles (S. W) from Newport-Pratt, in Clew bay: the population is returned with the parish. It comprises 15 statute acres, and has a well-sheltered harbour, with good anchorage in from three to five fathoms. Here is a light-house; the lantern, shewing a fixed white light, is 36 feet above high water mark.

INISHLIRE

INISHLIRE, or INNISLYRE, an island, in the parish of KILMINA, barony of BURRISHOOLE, county of MAYO, and province of CONNAUGHT, 5? miles (S. W.) from Newport-Pratt, in Clew bay: the population is returned with the parish. It comprises 40 acres, and is a coast-guard station.

KILMINA

KILMINA, a parish, in the barony of BURRISHOOLE, county of MAYO, and province of CONNAUGHT, adjoining the post-town of Newport-Pratt, and containing, With several inhabited islands, 9000 inhabitants. It comprises 9990 statute acres, as applotted under the tithe act, and valued at £7132 per ann., of which fivesixths are arable and pasture, and a small quantity is bog. Rosslands, the seat of Lewis O'Donnell, Esq., is delightfully situated on a creek of Clew bay, in which are several islands. The chief are Inishbee, Inishcuttle, and Inishnakellive, the property of Sir S. O'Malley, Bart. ; Inishduff, on which are the ruins of an ancient church ; Inishgowley, Island Tagart, Clynish, and Inishturk, the property of the Marquess of Sligo ; Inishrahen, Inishee, Inishleague, and Inishugh, on which is a coastguard station, also a remarkable clay cliff, 90 feet high. It is a vicarage, in the diocese of Tuam, and in the patronage of the Archbishop ; the rectory is partly appropriate to the prebends of Faldown and Killybegs in the cathedral of Tuam, and partly to the vicarage. The tithes amount to £350, of which £40. 7. 8. is payable to the prebendaries, and £309. 12.4. to the vicar There is no glebe-house, but a glebe of six acres on Calf island. The church was erected in 1835, by a grant of £900 from the late Board of First Fruits. In the R. C. divisions it is the head of a union or district, comprising this parish and Kilmaclasser, in each of which is a chapel ; that of Kilmina is a large handsome building, erected in 1822 at an expense of £1200. There are two public schools, to one of which the rector contrubutes £15 per ann., and in which about 100 children are educated ; and eleven private schools, in which 250 are taught.


Irish Times subscribers | | John Grenham | | Sitemap | | Login | | Subscribe | | Contact | | FAQs | | What's new?| | Privacy policy

Copyright © John Grenham 2021