All Lewis entries for Killedan



Killedan

More information on Samuel Lewis' Topographical Dictionary of Ireland (1837)
Accompanying Lewis map for Mayo

KILLEDAN

KILLEDAN, or KILLEDIN, a parish, in the barony of GALLEN, county of MAYO, and province of CONNAUGHT, 5 miles (W. by S.) from Swinford, on the road from that place to Ballagh ; containing 5741 inhabitants. Some of the land is very good and well cultivated, but there are large tracts of bog. A market on Thursday has been lately established at the village of Cultymough, or Newtown-Brown. The principal seats are Ballinamore, the residence of T. Ormsby, Esq. ; Killedan, of F. Taaffe, Esq. ; Anna Hill, of Mrs. Scully, and Oxford, the property of - Twyhee, Esq. It is a vicarage, in the diocese of Achonry, forming part of the union of Templemore ; the rectory is impropriate in the representatives of R. Palmer, Esq. The tithes amount to £411. 11. 4., which is equally divided between the impropriators and the vicar. The church is a neat building, erected at Ballinamore by the Ormsby family. The R. C. parish is co-extensive with that of the Established Church, and has a chapel at Cultymough. About 120 children are educated in a public school, to which T. Ormsby, Esq., contributes £14 annually, and about 540 in four private schools. Here was a friary of conventual Franciscans, which existed till the Reformation. There are some remains of the old church.


Irish Times subscribers | | John Grenham | | Sitemap | | Login | | Subscribe | | Contact | | FAQs | | What's new?| | Privacy policy

Copyright © John Grenham 2021