All entries for Doonfeeny



Doonfeeny

More information on Samuel Lewis' Topographical Dictionary of Ireland (1837)
Accompanying Lewis map for Mayo

BALLYCASTLE

BALLYCASTLE, a village, in the parish of DUNFEENY, barony of TYRAWLEY, county of MAYO, and province of CONNAUGHT, 15 miles (N. W.) from Ballina: the population is returned with the parish. This place is situated on the north-west coast, and commands a fine view of Downpatrick Head: the beach affords excellent accommodation for sea-bathing, and by the outlay of a little capital it might be made a delightful watering-place. Several improvements have already been made; many new houses have been built, a market place is in course of erection, and a new line of road is now being constructed through the mountains to Belmullet, which will materially add to the advantages of the place. Petty sessions are held every Wednesday; it is a constabulary and chief revenue-police station, and has six fairs in the year, and a penny post to Killala.

DUNFEENY

DUNFEENY, or DOONFENEY, a parish, in the barony of TYRAWLEY, county of MAYO, and province of CONNAUGHT, 9 miles (N. W.) from Killala ; containing 4110 inhabitants, This parish is situated upon the new line of road from Killala to Belmullet, now in progress through the mountains, and upon Bantraher bay. It comprises a large tract of bog ; and limestone, freestone, slate, and copper are found here. The seats are Mount Glynne, the residence of J. Faussett, Esq. ; Gross Lodge, of R. Faussett, Esq. ; and Glynne Castle, of Mrs. Watts. It is a vicarage, in the diocese of Killala, forming part of the union of Kilbride ; the rectory is appropriate to the deanery and precentorship of Killala. The tithes amount to #300, half of which is paid to the dean and precentor, and the rest to the vicar. There is a good glebe-house, and a glebe of 19? acres. The church is a large building in good repair, erected by aid of a loan of #830, in 1810, from the late Board of First Fruits. The R. C. union is co-extensive with that of the Established Church ; there is a chapel at Ballycastle, and another at Belderig. There are four public schools, one of which is aided by an annual donation from Mr. Knox, and in which about 450 children are educated ; and four private schools, in which are about 70 children.


Irish Times subscribers | | John Grenham | | Sitemap | | Login | | Subscribe | | Contact | | FAQs | | What's new?| | Privacy policy

Copyright © John Grenham 2019