All Lewis entries for Ballyhean



Ballyhean

More information on Samuel Lewis' Topographical Dictionary of Ireland (1837)
Accompanying Lewis map for Mayo

BALLYHANE

BALLYHANE, or BALLYHEAN, a parish, in the barony of CARRA, county of MAYO, and province of CONNAUGHT, 4- miles (S. by W.) from Castlebar; containing 3734 inhabitants. This parish is situated on the road from Castlebar to Ballinrobe, and is principally under tillage; it contains Kilboyne House, the residence of Sir S. O'Malley, Bart. Fairs are held on July 4th, and Aug. 20th. It is a rectory and vicarage, in the diocese of Tuam, and forms part of the union of Burriscarra, the church of which, a neat plain edifice, is situated in this parish, and has been lately repaired by a grant of £269 from the Ecclesiastical Commissioners: the tithes amount to £165. In the R. C. divisions it is part of the union or district of Castlebar: the chapel is a good slated building. At Drumrathcahil is a school of 76 boys and 40 girls; and there are two pay schools. At Kinturk are the ruins a fine old castle, formerly one of the residences of Grace O'Malley.


Irish Times subscribers | | John Grenham | | Sitemap | | Login | | Subscribe | | Contact | | FAQs | | What's new?| | Privacy policy

Copyright © John Grenham 2021