All Lewis entries for Smarmore



Smarmore

More information on Samuel Lewis' Topographical Dictionary of Ireland (1837)
Accompanying Lewis map for Louth

SMARMORE

SMARMORE, a parish, in the barony of ARDEE, county of LOUTH, and province of LEINSTER, 2? miles (S. S. W.) from Ardee, on the road to Slane ; containing 444 inhabitants. This parish comprises 1596 statute acres, according to the Ordnance survey : the land is of first-rate quality, and about two-thirds are under tillage : there is no bog. Smarmore Castle, the seat of Geo. Taaffe, Esq., is in a demesne of about 520 statute acres, well planted and tastefully laid out ; it is of some antiquity, but considerable additions have been made to it by the present proprietor ; in the demesne are three Danish raths. The parish is in the diocese of Armagh, and is a vicarage, forming part of the union of Ardee : the rectory is impropriate in G. Taaffe, Esq., and the entire tithes have merged in the rental of the land. In the R. C. divisions it is part of the union of Ardee.


Irish Times subscribers | | John Grenham | | Sitemap | | Login | | Subscribe | | Contact | | FAQs | | What's new?| | Privacy policy

Copyright © John Grenham 2021