PHILIPSTOWN, a parish, in the barony of ARDEE, county of LOUTH, and province of LEINSTER, 4 miles (N.) from Ardee, on the road to Carrickmacross, and on the river Glyde ; containing 1659 inhabitants. This parish is bounded on the north-west by the county of Monaghan, and comprises, according to the Ordnance survey, 3660 statute acres, which, excepting a portion of bog, is good arable and pastureland : agriculture is improving, under the auspices of the neighbouring gentry, who are also endeavouring to introduce the improved system of breeding cattle. The mill of Louth stands at the north-eastern extremity of the parish. The principal seats are Thomastown Castle, the residence of M. O'Reilly, Esq., in a well-wooded demesne of about 300 plantation acres ; and Rathuestin, of J. Henry, Esq. The living is a rectory, in the diocese of Armagh, forming part of the union of Charlestown : the tithes amount to #271, 17. 6., of which #234. 17. 6. is payable to the impropriator. and #37 to the vicar, In the R. C. divi Sions the parish is one of four, forming the union or district of Tallanstown ; there is a large chapel at Reas-town, About 70 children are educated in two public schools, of which the parochial school-house at Reastown was built and is supported by G. H. Macartney, Esq., and the incumbent, by the latter of whom also and Col. Filgate the other school is supported. There are also two private schools, in which are about 100 children.