All Lewis entries for Mosstown



Mosstown

More information on Samuel Lewis' Topographical Dictionary of Ireland (1837)
Accompanying Lewis map for Louth

MOSSTOWN

MOSSTOWN, a parish, in the barony of ARDEE, county of LOUTH, and province of LEINSTER, 2 miles (S. W.) from Dunleer, on the road to Collon ; containing 1229 inhabitants. It comprises, according to the Ordnance survey, 3817- statute acres, chiefly in tillage, and under an improved system of agriculture. Rathescar, the seat, of the Hon. Baron Foster (formerly belonging to a branch of the Barnewall family), is a spacious mansion, erected on the site of an ancient castle. The Baron has erected an excellent observatory, which being raised to a considerable height above the house, forms a conspicuous object at a distance, and commands extensive views: the gardens and hot-houses are of the first character ; and the demesne, which comprises about 480 statute acres, is well planted, tastefully disposed, and embellished with a fine sheet of water. It is a rectory and vicarage, in the diocese of Armagh, forming part of the union of Collon: the tithes amount to £248. 14. 11., and there is a glebe of three acres, valued at £5. 9. 10. per annum. In the R. C. divisions it is part of the union or district of Dunleer, and has a chapel at Philipstown. The school at Philipstown is aided by an annual donation of £10 from the Hon. Baron Foster: in this and in a private school about 180 children are educated.


Irish Times subscribers | | John Grenham | | Sitemap | | Login | | Subscribe | | Contact | | FAQs | | What's new?| | Privacy policy

Copyright © John Grenham 2021