All entries for Killanny



Killanny

More information on Samuel Lewis' Topographical Dictionary of Ireland (1837)
Accompanying Lewis map for Louth

KILLANEY

KILLANEY, a parish, partly in the barony of ARDEE, county of LOUTH, and province of LEINSTER, but chiefly in the barony of FARNEY, county of MONAGHAN, and province of ULSTER, 2 miles (E. by S.) from Carrickmacross, on the road from Carrick to Dundalk ; containing 4823 inhabitants, of which number 1424 are in Louth. The rivers Glyde and Ballymackney flow through this parish ; and the Earl of Essex had an interview, in 1599, at Essexford, with O'Nial, Earl of Tyrone. It comprises, according to the Ordnance survey (including 167? acres in the detached townland of Essexford, and 106? under water), 7l27? statute acres, of which 1939? are in Louth, and 5188 in Monaghan ; 5870 acres are applotted under the tithe act, and chiefly in tillage, and 500 acres consist of bog. The principal seats are Moynalty, the residence of T. Mc Evoy Gartland, Esq., and Ballymackney House, of W. Daniel, Esq. The living is a rectory and vicarage, in the diocese of Clogher, and in the patronage of the Bishop ; the tithes amount to #461. 10. 9?. The church is a small ancient structure. There is a glebe-house, with a glebe of 90 acres. In the R. C. divisions this parish is partly in the union or district of Carrickmacross, and partly the head of a district, comprising also three or four townlands in the parish of Louth ; it contains two chapels, one at Corcreagh, belonging to the Carrickmacross district, and the other in the village of Killaney. About 270 children are educated in five private schools, and there is a Sunday school. Here are the ruins of an ancient church, and of a fortification on a conical hill, called Mount Killaney.


Irish Times subscribers | | John Grenham | | Sitemap | | Login | | Subscribe | | Contact | | FAQs | | What's new?| | Privacy policy

Copyright © John Grenham 2018