All Lewis entries for Clonkeen



Clonkeen

More information on Samuel Lewis' Topographical Dictionary of Ireland (1837)
Accompanying Lewis map for Louth

CLONKEEN

CLONKEEN, a parish, in the barony of ARDEE, county of LOUTH, and province of LEINSTER, 3 miles (N. W.) from Ardee, on the road to Monaghan ; containing 1981 inhabitants. It comprises 4321- statute acres, according to the Ordnance survey, valued at £4582 per annum : the soil is fertile, and the land is mostly under cultivation ; the system of agriculture is in a highly improved state. There are some quarries of greenstone, which is raised for building and for repairing the roads, The principal seats are Rogerstown, the residence of Miss Young ; Cardistown, of J. Caraher, Esq. ; Glach, of R, Shegog, Esq. ; and Cromartin, belonging to the Clement family. The living is a rectory and vicarage in the diocese of Armagh, and in the patronage of the Lord-Primate : the tithes amount to £300. The glebe-house is a good residence, built by the present rector, the Rev. W. Lee, and has attached to it 12a. 1r. 17p. of glebe, The church is an ancient structure, and contains a neat monument to the Caraher family. In the R. C. divisions the parish forms part of the union or district of Tallanstown. There are two hedge schools, in which are about 80 boys and 30 girls. Near Lagan bridge are the ruins of an ancient castle.


Irish Times subscribers | | John Grenham | | Sitemap | | Login | | Subscribe | | Contact | | FAQs | | What's new?| | Privacy policy

Copyright © John Grenham 2021