All Lewis entries for Street



Street

More information on Lewis' Topographical Dictionary of Ireland (1837)



Accompanying Lewis map for Longford


STREET

STREET, a parish, partly in the barony of ARDAGH, county of LONGFORD, but chiefly in that of MOYGOISH, county of WESTMEATH, and province of LEINSTER, 2? miles (N. E.) from Rathowen, on the river Inney and on Lough Dereveragh, and on the road to Granard ; containing 4238 inhabitants. This parish comprises 9429? statute acres of good land, chiefly under tillage ; its eastern side is composed of vast tracts of bog, through which the river Inny winds, and on the west it is bounded by the county of Longford. Here are quarries of very fine limestone, good black marble, and thin black flagstone. Colamber is the residence of S. W. Blackall, Esq. ; and Kindevin, of R. Sproule, Esq. The living is a vicarage, in the diocese of Ardagh, and in the patronage of Fulke Greville, Esq., in whom the rectory is impropriate ; the tithes amount to #369, 4. 7?., one-half payable to the impropriator, and the other to the vicar, The glebe comprises 5 acres, valued at #16. 10. per ann. ; the glebe-house was built by aid of a gift of #400 and a loan of #382, in 1812, from the late Board of First Fruits, The church is an ancient building, for the repairs of which the Ecclesiastical Commissioners have recently granted #228 : divine service is also performed in two school-houses, at each extremity of the parish on the evenings of the alternate Sundays throughout the year. The R. C. parish is co-extensive with that of the Established Church ; the chapel is at Boherquil. The parochial school is aided by subscription, and there are two other schools, one aided by Mr. and Miss Blackall, and the other by the National Board ; in these schools are about 180 children. There are also two private schools, in which are about 190 children, At Colamber are the ruins of an old castle, which was besieged by Oliver Cromwell ; it formed the boundary of the English pale. There are the remains of an old church, with a burial-place, at Clonmore, anciently a monastery of the order of St. Bernard, and founded by St. Fintan, about the 13th century. Opposite the church is a large high moat, At Kennard, in this parish, was anciently a nunnery. In the midst of the bog is a mineral spring.


Irish Times subscribers | | John Grenham | | Sitemap | | Login | | Subscribe | | Contact | | FAQs | | What's new?| | Privacy policy

Copyright © John Grenham 2020