All Lewis entries for Shrule



Shrule

More information on Samuel Lewis' Topographical Dictionary of Ireland (1837)
Accompanying Lewis map for Longford

BALLYMAHON

BALLYMAHON, a market and post-town, in the parish of SHRUEL, barony of RATHCLINE, county of LONGFORD, and province of LEINSTER, 16? miles (W.) from Mullingar, and 55 miles (W.) from Dublin ; containing 1081 inhabitants. This place is supposed to have derived its name from Mahon, King of Thomond, who, according to O'Halloran and other writers, defeated Fergal, son of Ruarc, in a great battle which took place here in 960. There was formerly a castle of considerable strength, but nothing now remains except some of the arches, upon which a dwelling-house has been erected. The town is pleasantly situated on the river Inney, over which is a bridge of five arches and on the road from Longford to Athlone; and though possessing no features of attraction in itself, derives much interest from the beauty of the scenery in its environs. Weaving was formerly carried on to some extent, but has for some time been discontinued, and at present its trade is principally with the neighbouring towns of Longford, Mullingar, Edgeworths-town, Athlone, Moate, and Lanesborough, with respect to all of which it is conveniently situated. The Royal Canal passes near the town in its course from Dublin to Tarmonbarry, and a boat for the conveyance of passengers and goods to Dublin passes daily. The market is on Thursday, chiefly for the sale of provisions; and fairs are held on the Thursday before Ash-Wednesday, May 11th, Aug. 11th, and Nov. 21st : the May fair is much resorted to by graziers, and is considered one of the best in the province for cattle. The market-house, a commodious building, is situated in the centre of the town; and over it is a large room in which the sessions are held. A chief constabulary police force is stationed in the town; and the quarter sessions for the county are held here, alternately with Longford, four times in the year, for the trial of civil bills only. Petty sessions for the division are also held every Monday. The parish church is situated in the town in which are also a spacious R. C. chapel, and the residence of the R. C. Bishop of Ardagh, who officiates as parish priest; and a dispensary under the superintendence of a resident physician. Goldsmith, the poet, who was born at Palace, in the adjoining parish of Forgone, passed several years of his childhood in this town, where he lived with his widowed mother; and some years since a meeting was held here to make arrangements for erecting a monument to his memory near the place of his nativity.-See SHRUEL.

SHRUEL

SHRUEL, or SHRULE, a parish, in the barony of RATHCLINE, county of LONGFORD, and province of LEINSTER ; containing, with the post-town of Ballymahon, 3848 inhabitants. This parish, which derives its name, signifying "the bloody stream," from a battle fought here in 960 (which is noticed in the article on Ballymahon), is situated on the river Inny, which bounds it on the south, and comprises 3339a. Or. 33p., as applotted under the tithe act, and valued at £5226 per annum. The lands are generally of good quality ; about three-fourths are under tillage, and the remainder low pasture or meadow ; the soil is fertile and the system of agriculture improved. Limestone abounds and is quarried for agricultural purposes and for building and at Terlicken are quarries of flagstones of very good quality, In the immediate neighbourhood of Bal lymahon, and throughout the parish, are numerous gentlemen' s seats, of which the principal are Newcastle, the residence of the Dowager Countess of Ross; Ballymulvey, the property of the Shouldham family ; Moigh, the seat of M. Shouldham, Esq.; Castlecore, of T. Hussey, Esq. ; Drimnacor, of W. Sandys, Esq. ; Crevagh, of R. Sandys, Esq. ; Cartron, of J. Wright, Esq. ; Rathmore, of R. C. Barbor, Esq. ; Cloncallow, of W. T. Murray, Esq. ; Doory Hall, of F. J. Jessop, Esq. ; Rockfield, of J. Fetherston, Esq. ; and Lisglassick, of J. R. Robinson, Esq. Spinning and weaving are carried on in several of the farm-houses ; and near the bridge of Shruel, but in the parish of Nogheval, are flour-mills producing annually about 4000 barrels of flour. The small lake of Drum, which discharges its superfluous waters into the Inny, abounds with pike of large size but inferior quality. The Royal Canal passes through the parish.

The living is a vicarage, in the diocese of Ardagh, and in the patronage of the Bishop ; the rectory is impropriate in the vicars choral of the cathedrals of Christchurch and St. Patrick, Dublin. The tithes amount to £318. 6. 7., of which £194. 10. 4-. is payable to the impropriators, and £123. 16. 2-. to the vicar. The glebe-house, towards the erection of which the late Board of First Fruits contributed a gift of £400 and a loan of £370, in 1813, is a good residence ; and the glebe comprises 34 acres, valued at £45. 9. 8-. per annum. The church, a handsome edifice, situated in Ballymahon, was enlarged in 1824, for which purpose the late Board of First Fruits granted a loan of £1140. In the R. C. divisions the parish, called also Ballymahon, and one of the bishop's parishes, is co-extensive with that of the Established Church ; the chapel is a spacious and well-built edifice. About 150 children are taught in two public schools ; and there are seven private schools, in which are about 230 children, and two Sunday schools. There are some remains of the ancient parish church at Shruel ; the cemetery is still a favourite burial-place. In addition to the castles of Ballymahon and Castlecor, noticed in the article on the town, are the remains of the castle of Barnacor, apparently built to defend the pass of the river in co-operation with Lot's castle on the opposite bank. On the hill of Mullavorna was formerly a monastery, which was subsequently removed to Foighy. Several coins of Elizabeth and some of the base money of Jas. II. have been found here. On the townland of Cartronboy is a cavern containing several chambers, within the area of a Danish rath.


Irish Times subscribers | | John Grenham | | Sitemap | | Login | | Subscribe | | Contact | | FAQs | | What's new?| | Privacy policy

Copyright © John Grenham 2021