All Lewis entries for Kilmeedy



Kilmeedy

More information on Samuel Lewis' Topographical Dictionary of Ireland (1837)
Accompanying Lewis map for Limerick

CORCOMOHIDE

CORCOMOHIDE, an ecclesiastical union, including the civil parishes of CASTLETOWN-CONYERS, DRUMCOLLOHER, and KILMEEDY, in the barony of UPPER CONNELLO EAST, county of LIMERICK, and province of MUNSTER ; containing 10,742 inhabitants. These parishes, each of which is described under its own head, are all contiguous, and together comprise 14,370- statute acres, as severally applotted under the tithe act ; the tithes for the whole amount to £900, of which £570 is payable to the Countess of Ormonde, as lessee under the vicars choral of the cathedral church of St. Mary, Limerick, and £330 to the incumbent. There are two public schools, to one of which Mr. Stevelly contributes £10 annually, and to the other Col. White subscribes 10 guineas and has given a house and garden ; about 150 children are educated in these schools, and about 750 in 12 private schools.

CORCOMROE.-See ABBEY.

KILMEEDY

KILMEEDY, a parish, in the Eastern Division of the barony of UPPER CONNELLO, county of LIMERICK, and province of MUNSTER, 5 miles (E.) from Newcastle, on the road to Castletown: the population is returned with that of the union of Corcomohide. It comprises 5232? acres, as applotted under the tithe act, about one-eighth of which is under tillage, and the remainder is principally meadow and pasture, including some large dairy farms. Here is some profitable bog, and about 1000 acres of mountain land, consisting chiefly of silicious grit, of which there are some good quarries. The low lands are based on limestone. The principal seats are Heathfield, the residence of E. Lloyd, Esq. ; High Mount, of J. Furlong, Esq. ; and Feenah Cottage, of the Rev. M. Keily, P.P. The village is small ; it has a cattle fair on Nov. 7th. At the village of Feenah there are a dispensary and a constabulary police station ; it is a vicarage, in the diocese of Limerick, forming part of the union of Corcomohide ; the rectory is appropriate to the vicars choral of Limerick cathedral. The tithes are included in the amount for the union of Corcomohide. The church, which is near the village, was erected in 1665, when the vicarage was created ; it is in bad condition, and will be rebuilt by the Ecclesiastical Commissioners. In the R. C. divisions the parish forms part of the union or district of Ballyegran, and has a chapel. There is a school built and supported by J. Warren, Esq., on his estate at Heathfield.


Irish Times subscribers | | John Grenham | | Sitemap | | Login | | Subscribe | | Contact | | FAQs | | What's new?| | Privacy policy

Copyright © John Grenham 2021