All Lewis entries for Dromtarriff


More information on Samuel Lewis' Topographical Dictionary of Ireland (1837)
Accompanying Lewis map for Cork


DROUMTARJFFE, or DRUMTARIFF, a parish, in the barony of DUHALLOW, county of CORK, and province of MUNSTER, 2- miles (S. W. by S.) from Kanturk, on the river Blackwater, and on the new government road from Roskeen bridge to Castle Island ; containing 5926 inhabitants. It comprises 14,971 statute acres, as applotted under the tithe act, and valued at £9007. 17. 6-. per annum : of which about 3000 acres consist of coarse mountain pasture and bog. The arable land is of middling quality. Since the construction of the new government roads, lime has been extensively used as manure, and the state of agriculture greatly improved. The extensive and valuable collieries of Dromagh and Disert, the property of N. Leader, Esq., afford constant employment to a considerable number of persons. Dromagh colliery has been worked for nearly a century. Within the last fifteen years a large capital has been expended by the late N. P. Leader, Esq., on useful works connected with the collieries, which are now in excellent order, and capable of supplying an extensive demand. Among other improvements, he erected a large boulting-mill, near the new bridge over the river Ailna, which, in compliment to him, has been named Leader's bridge. At Clonbanin, Dominagh, and Coolelough are other collieries worked by different proprietorS. About forty years since, it was contemplated to open a navigable communication between these collieries and the sea at Youghal, by means of a canal cut through the vale of the Blackwater ; and part of the line between this place and Mallow, to the extent of 3- miles, was actually cut, and still remains visible. A railroad in the same direction has also been suggested, but no steps have yet been taken for accomplishing that object. Fairs are held at Dromagh on the 20th of May, Aug., and Nov., for general farming stock. The gentlemen's seats are Nashville, the residence of N. Leader, Esq. ; Minchill, of J. C. Wallace, Esq. ; and the Glebe-house, of the Rev. H. Bevan. Fort Grady, so called from an ancient rath or fort in its vicinity, and formerly the residence of the father of Viscount Guillamore, is now occupied as a farm-house. The parish is in the diocese of Ardfert and Aghadoe ; the rectory is impropriate in Lord Lisle ; the vicarage was united, in 1760, to those of Cullen and Kilmeen, forming the union of Droumtariffe, in the gift of the Bishop : the tithes amount to £384. 12. 3-., of which £184. 12. 3-. is payable to the impropriator, and the remainder to the vicar : the entire tithes of the benefice amount to £720, The glebe-house is a neat and commodious building, erected in 1825, by aid of a gift of £400 and a loan of £400 from the late Board of First Fruits ; the glebe comprises about 24 statute acres. The old church was burnt by Lord Broghill's troops, in 1652 ; the present church, at Dromagh, is a neat edifice, of hewn stone, with a square pinnacled tower, erected in 1822, by aid of a gift of £300 and a loan of £300 from the same Board, In the R. C. divisions the parish forms the principal part of the district called Coolclough, which also includes parts of the parishes of Cullen and Kilmeen. The chapel, near Dromagh, is a spacious and handsome structure, originally built on a site presented by the late Mr. Leader, who also contributed £ 150 towards the building ; it has been recently rebuilt, in the Gothic style, under the superintendence of the Rev. J. Barry, P. P., and has now a handsome front of hewn limestone, with a spire rising 80 feet from the ground. The chapel at Derrinagree is an old building. There are three private schools, in which about 200 children are educated. In the midst of the collieries is the ancient Castle of Dromagh, once the chief residence of the O'Keefes, consisting of a square enclosure flanked by four circular towers : it is now the property of Mr. Leader, by whose father one of the towers has been raised and fitted up, and part of the enclosure converted into offices. The battle fought, in 1652, at Knockbrack, in the vicinity, between the forces of Lord Broghill and those of Lord Muskerry, is described under the head of Clonmeen, and the geological features of the district under that of the county of Cork.

Irish Times subscribers | | John Grenham | | Sitemap | | Login | | Subscribe | | Contact | | FAQs | | What's new?| | Privacy policy

Copyright © John Grenham 2021