All Lewis entries for Kilbreedy Major



Kilbreedy Major

More information on Samuel Lewis' Topographical Dictionary of Ireland (1837)
Accompanying Lewis map for Limerick

BULGADINE

BULGADINE, a parish, in the barony of COSTLEA, county of LIMERICK, and province of MUNSTER, 3 miles (N.) from Kilmallock; containing 1152 inhabitants. In the ecclesiastical divisions this is not known as a separate parish, being regarded as forming part of the parishes of Uregare, Kilbreedy-Major, and Athnassey: it comprises 3395 statute acres, as applotted under the tithe act. The occupiers of land in this neighbourhood are subjected to a penalty of £10 per acre if more than two acres out of every twenty are tilled; hence the meadows and pastures are very extensive, and are considered as the most fertile in the county. Near the village, which is very small, consisting only of a few thatched houses, is the ancient and neglected mansion of the family of Evans, now the property of Lord Carbery, which, though at present in a state of miserable dilapidation, was formerly one of the most magnificent residences in the province. In the R. C. divisions this place is partly in the union or district of Kilmallock; and partly in that of Athnassey or Ballinvana; it contains a chapel for this part of the union.

KILBREEDY-MAJOR

KILBREEDY-MAJOR, a parish, in the barony of COSTLEA, county of LIMERICK, and province of MUNSTE R, 2 miles (W. by S.) from Kilmallock, on the road to Tipperary; containing 1137 inhabitants. It comprises 3352 statute acres, as applotted under the tithe act:

the land is of good quality, being based on a substratum of limestone; the greater portion is arable, with some good meadow and pasture, and there is a small proportion of bog. Kilbreedy House is the residence of J. O'Donnell, Esq. The parish is in the diocese of Limerick, and the rectory forms part of the union of Kilmallock: the tithes amount to £224. 16. 7. There is neither church nor glebe-house; the glebe comprises 11- acres of profitable land. In the R. C. divisions the parish forms part of the union or district of Athnassy, or Ballinvana. There are several raths, some of which are perfect.

KILBREEDY-MINOR

KILBREEDY-MINOR, a parish, in the barony of COSHMA, county of LIMERICK, and province of MUNSTER, 2 miles (N. W. by N.) from Kilmallock, and on the road from that place to Charleville; containing 600 inhabitants. It comprises 2087 statute acres, as applotted under the tithe act: the soil is very good, but only about one-fifth of it is under tillage, the remainder being meadow or pasture land. The living is a rectory and vicarage, in the diocese of Limerick, and in the gift of the Bishop: the tithes amount to £130. In the R. C. divisions the parish forms part of the union or district of Effin. Near the south bank of the Subtach are the ruins of the old church.


Irish Times subscribers | | John Grenham | | Sitemap | | Login | | Subscribe | | Contact | | FAQs | | What's new?| | Privacy policy

Copyright © John Grenham 2021