All Lewis entries for Drishane


More information on Samuel Lewis' Topographical Dictionary of Ireland (1837)
Accompanying Lewis map for Cork


DRISHANE, a parish, partly in the detached portion of the barony of MAGONIHY, county of KERRY, and partly in the barony of DUHALLOW, but chiefly in that of WEST MUSKERRY, county of CORK, and province of MUNSTER, on the road from Cork to Killarney, containing, with the town of Millstreet, 7036 inhabitants. It comprises 32,169 statute acres, as applotted under the tithe act, and valued at £12,635. 16. 9. per ann. About a seventh part of the land is fertile and well cultivated, but the greater part consists of mountain pasture and bog: much of the former, however, affords good herbage for large herds of cattle and goats ; and a considerable part of the district of Kladach, containing about 2200 acres of rough moorland, might be reclaimed at a moderate expense. Slate is found in several places, also white clay of a tenacious quality; and near Drishane Castle is a bed of good limestone. The gentle-men s seats are Drishane Castle, the residence of H. Wallis, Esq. ; Coole House, of H. O'Donnell, Esq. ; Mount Leader, of H. Leader, Esq. ; Rnthduane, of J. E. McCarty, Esq. ; Coomlagane, of J. McCarthy O'Leary, Esq. ; Coole, of H. O'Donnell, Esq. ; and the glebehouse, of the Rev. F. Cooper. The parish is in the diocese of Ardfert ; the rectory is impropriate in the Earl of Donoughmore, and the vicarage was united, in 17 60, to that of Nohoval-daly, together forming the union of Drishane, in the patronage of the Bishop. The tithes amount to £630, and are equally divided between the impropriator and the vicar; the tithes of the benefice amount to £455. There is a glebe-house with a glebe of 26 acres. The church, situated in Millstreet, is a large edifice with a square tower, in the Gothic style ; A grant of £112. 17. 6. has been recently made by the Ecclesiastical Board for its repair. In the R. C. divisions it is the head of the union or district of Millstreet, 'which also comprises the greater part of the parish of Cullen : the chapel is at Millstreet, and there is also a chapel at Cullen. The parochial school, in Millstreet, is supported by H. Wallis, Esq., and the vicar. A schoolhouse is about to be erected at Coomlegan, for which Mrs. McCarty, of Glyn, in 181 1, bequeathed two acres of land and £40 per annum. There are also two private schools, and the number of children educated in the parish is about 150. Drishane Castle, which is in good repair, was erected by Dermot McCarty in 1436: his descendant, Donagh McCarty, was engaged in the war of 1641, by which he forfeited thc estate: in the demesne are the ruins of the old parochial church. Of Kilmeedy castle, which was built by one of the Mccarty family, in 1445, to command the 'wild mountain pass from Macroom to Killarney, the ruins still remain in the valley, near the mail coach road.-See MILLSTREET.


FRACTIONS, EAST and WEST, detached portions of the barony of MAGONIHY, county of KERRY, and province of MUNSTER ; the former being locally situated in the parishes of Drishane, Kilmeen, and Nohoval-Daly, in the barony of Duhallow, county of Cork, and the latter in the parishes of Glenbegh and Killorglin, barony of Magonihy, county of Kerry, containing in the whole 5296 inhabitants, of which number, 285 were in Drishane, 1045 in Kilmeen, 1304 in Nohoval-Daly, containing together 2634 ; and 616 in Glenbegh, and 2046 in Killorglin, together amounting to 2662 inhabitants. In the ecclesiastical divisions they are considered as forming parts of the parishes above enumerated.


MILLSTREET, a market and post-town, in the parish of DRISHANE, barony of WEST MUSKERRY, county of CORK, and province of MUNSTER, 29? miles (N. W.) from Cork, and 155 (S. W.) from Dublin, on the road from Cork to Killarney, and on that from Mallow to Kenmare ; containing 1935 inhabitants. Before 1736, the place consisted only of an inn, a mill, and five small cabins : it has now one long street, with several smaller ones diverging from it, and contains 312 houses, the greater number of which, though small, are neatly built. It is situated on the south side of the Blackwater, amidst the lofty mountains of Muskerry, and derives its principal support from being a great thoroughfare. A small market is held every Thursday, during the winter season, chiefly for pigs ; and fairs are held on the 1st and 12th of March, June, Sept., and Dec., for the sale of cattle, horses and pigs. An ale and porter brewery was established here in 1835, which produces 1000 tierces annually ; and there are extensive flour-mills, which have proved very advantageous to the farmer in encouraging the growth of wheat. Here is a small court-house, in which petty sessions are held on alternate Mondays ; connected with it is a small bridewell. It is a constabulary police station ; and there are large barracks for 6 officers and 100 men, where a detachment of infantry has been kept ever since the riots of 1822. The parish church of Drishane stands on an eminence above the town ; it is a handsome edifice, built in 1798 at the expense of J. Wallis, Esq., of Drishane Castle, the owner of the eastern part of the town ; the western part, called Coomlagan, belongs to McCarty O'Leary, Esq. Here is also a R. C. chapel, which, being small and inconvenient, is about to be rebuilt upon a larger scale. The male and female parochial school is supported by H. Wallis, Esq., and the vicar ; and a school is about to be established in connection with the new R. C. chapel. The scenery around the town is exceedingly interesting, and in its vicinity are several elegant residences, noticed in the article on DRISHANE.

Irish Times subscribers | | John Grenham | | Sitemap | | Login | | Subscribe | | Contact | | FAQs | | What's new?| | Privacy policy

Copyright © John Grenham 2021