DRUMCOLLOHER, a parish, in the barony of UPPER CONNELLO EAST, county of LIMERICK, and province of MUNSTER, 9 miles (S.W.) from Charleville, on the road to Newcastle : the population of the village, in 1831, was 658 ; the remaining part of the parish is
returned with Corcomohide. It comprises 2908? statute acres, as applotted under the tithe act ; about one-fourth is under tillage, producing excellent crops, and the remainder is meadow and pasture land ; the hills are cultivated nearly to their summits, and there is neither waste land nor bog : they are on the south side of the village, forming a natural boundary between the counties of Limerick and Cork, and are supposed to contain three several strata of coal, but no attempt has been yet made to work them. The general substratum of the parish is limestone, and several quarries have been opened in various parts for agricultural purposes and for building. The village is a constabulary police station, and has a daily penny post to Charleville. Fairs are held on March 15th, May 2nd, June 17th, Aug. 24th, Nov. 5th, and Dec. 3rd ; they are in general large and well attended. The parish is in the diocese of Limerick ; the rectory is appropriate to the vicars choral of the cathedral church of St. Mary, Limerick ; and the vicarage forms part of the union or parish of Corcomohide, with which the tithes are returned, In the R. C. divisions the parish is the head of a union or district, comprising also the parishes of Killaliathan and Cloncrew, and part of Nonegay ; the chapel is a small plain edifice. A male and female school are supported by L. White and R. J. Stevelly, Esqrs., under the superintendence of the vicar. Not far from the village are the ruins of the old parish church, which was a small and very ancient edifice.