All entries for Clonkeen



Clonkeen

More information on Samuel Lewis' Topographical Dictionary of Ireland (1837)
Accompanying Lewis map for Limerick

BARRINGTON'S BRIDGE,

BARRINGTON'S BRIDGE, a village, in the parish of CLONKEEN, barony of CLANWILLIAM, county of LIMERICK, and province of MUNSTER, 6 miles (E.) from Limerick: the population is returned with the parish.This place is situated on the road from Limerick to Abington, and on the river Mulkern, over which is an elegant bridge of one arch of cast iron, from which the

village derives its name. The surrounding country is fertile, and the scenery agreeably diversified and embellished with modern and elegant cottages and substantial farm-houses, mostly with gardens and orchards attached to them. Though small, it has a pleasing and cheerful aspect; there is a neat and commodious hotel; a penny post has been established from Limerick, and it is a

chief station of the constabulary police. A neat school- house has been built for a school in connection with the National Board, with separate apartments for the master and mistress. At a short distance from the village is the ancient parish church, in the Norman style. the western entrance of which presents some very beautiful details.-See CLONKEEN.

CLONKEEN

CLONKEEN, a parish, in the barony of CLANWILLIAM, county of LIMERICK, and province of MUNSTE R, 5? miles (E. by S.) from Limerick ; containing 628 inhabitants, This parish is situated on the road from Limerick to Abington, and contains 2496 statute acres, as applotted under the tithe act. The soil is fertile, and the land is well cultivated, producing abundant crops. The houses are generally good, and mostly surrounded with gardens and orchards, particularly near Barrington Bridge, where several neat cottages, and an hotel and post-office have been recently erected, a police station established, and numerous other improvements made. The parish is in the diocese of Emly, and the rectory is appropriate to the Archbishop of Cashel's mensal. The church, which is of Saxon or early Norman architecture, of which the western doorway is a very fine specimen, was much injured by the Whiteboys, in 1762, and has not been repaired ; that at Abington is used by the parishioners. In the R. C. divisions the parish forms part of the union or district of Murroe. There is a school, in which about 100 boys and 40 girls are taught.


Irish Times subscribers | | John Grenham | | Sitemap | | Login | | Subscribe | | Contact | | FAQs | | What's new?| | Privacy policy

Copyright © John Grenham 2019