All Lewis entries for Cloncrew



Cloncrew

More information on Samuel Lewis' Topographical Dictionary of Ireland (1837)
Accompanying Lewis map for Limerick

CLOUNCREW

CLOUNCREW, or CLUINCINNO, a parish, in the barony of UPPER CONNELLO EAST, county of LIMERICK, and province of MUNSTER, 3 miles (N. E.) from Drumcolloher, on the road to Ballyegran ; containing 270 inhabitants. It comprises 1663 statute acres, as applotted under the tithe act, part of which is under tillage, producing good crops, and the remainder pasture and meadow, The living is a rectory, in the diocese of Limerick, and is held in commendam by the bishop :the tithes amount to £72. There is neither church, chapel, glebe-house, nor glebe. The Protestant parish-ioners attend the parish church of Kilmeedy, In the R. C. divisions it is united to Drumcolloher, On the bank of the river are some remains of the old church, which was destroyed in the war of 1641.


Irish Times subscribers | | John Grenham | | Sitemap | | Login | | Subscribe | | Contact | | FAQs | | What's new?| | Privacy policy

Copyright © John Grenham 2021