All Lewis entries for Chapelrussell



Chapelrussell

More information on Samuel Lewis' Topographical Dictionary of Ireland (1837)
Accompanying Lewis map for Limerick

CHAPEL-RUSSELL

CHAPEL-RUSSELL, a parish, in the barony of KENRY, county of LIMERICK, and province of MUNSTER ; containing, with the post-town of Pallas-Kenry, 1204 inhabitants. It was formerly called Kilelura or Cillenalotar, and was created a parish, under its present name, by the late Dr. Elrington, while Bishop of Limerick. It is situated on the road from Limerick to the quay of Ringmoileau, and within a mile of the river Shannon ; and contains 587 statute acres, as applotted under the tithe act., of which nearly time whole is arable. Prior to 1785, the whole was an open field, on which a great number of cattle depastured, but it has been enclosed. The land is tolerably fertile, and the soil is everywhere based on limestone, which in some places rises above time surface. Near the town of Pallas-Kenry are two small lakes, which appear to have been formed by cutting turf. The living is a rectory and vicarage, in the diocese of Limerick, and in time patronage of the Bishop ; it was formerly part of time bishop's mensal, but on its being erected into a rectory by Dr. Elrington, he endowed it with all the tithes, which amount to £55. 7. 8-. The parish appears formerly to have been part of the parish of Ardeanny, Or to have been held by the same incumbent ; and time church of that parish being in a ruinous state, and situated at the southern extremity of the parish, it is the intention of the bishop to unite the two parishes, when the church of Chapel-Russell, which is a large and handsome edifice, will become the church of the union. It was built in 1822, by aid of a gift of £900 from the late Board of First Fruits, and £100 from the Incorporated Society, for the erection of a gallery for the children of the Shannon Grove charter school ; but as this school was suppressed soon afterwards, the gallery is now open to the parishioners. The Ecclesiastical Commissioners have lately granted £116 for repairing the church. There is neither glebe-house nor glebe, In the R. C. divisions this parish forms part of the union or district of Kildimo : the chapel, which is a neat building, is at White Forge. There is also a chapel for Wesleyan Methodists. The parochial schools, in which are about 100 children, are aided by subscriptions from Lord Charleville and the rector : about the same number also receive instruction in two private schools. There were formerly two charter schools, one of which long since fell into decay, but the other existed till within the last few years, under the patronage of the Charleville family. The school, which cost £5000, Is large and well built, and is now occupied in separate tenements ; and the land is held by a farmer. A loan fund has been established. Within the parish are the ruins of time castle of Pallas-Kenry, originally built by the O'Donovans, but subsequently occupied by the Fitzgeralds, Knights of the Valley, who greatly enlarged and strengthened it at various periods : a great part of the walls fell down in the winter of 1834, but it is still a picturesque and beautiful ruin. Not far distant from it is the curious little church of Killenalotar, only twelve feet long and eight broad ; the walls, the west door, and the east window are quite perfect.-See PALLAS-KENRY.

PALLASKENRY

PALLASKENRY (formerly called NEWMARKET), a market and post-town, in the parish of CHAPEL-RUSSELL, barony of KENRY, county of LIMERICK, and province of MUNSTER, 12 miles (W.) from Limerick, and 103- (S. W.) from Dubin ; containing 630 inhabitants. This town, which is one of the most improving in the county, is situated on the road from Lime-rick to the quay of Ringmoylan, and on the lower road from the same city to Castletown ; and comprises 115 houses, the greater number of which are well built, but covered with thatch. Petty sessions are held once a fortnight : it is a chief constabulary police station, and contains the dispensary for the barony, which has a resident physician and is open daily. The market, held on Thursday, is well attended and amply supplied with provisions. The linen manufacture was formerly carried on here to a great extent, and there was a large bleach-green near the town : though the population is chiefly engaged in agriculture, yet flax-dressing, spinning and linen-weaving still give employment to many of the inhabitants. The spirit of industry has been powerfully excited latterly by an institution called the Chapel-Russell Loan Fund. It was commenced in 1823, by means of a fund of £218 subscribed by the Earl of Charleville, the county of Limerick Trustees, the London Committee, the Irish Peasantry Society, and the County of Limerick Ladies' Committee, The fund is lent out in small portions, sometimes in money, but more frequently in wool, flax and implements for manufacture, such as wheels, reels and looms, and is repaid by weekly instalments, in which the manufactured goods are taken at a liberal valuation, In seasons of scarcity provisions are issued, and articles for clothing and bedding occasionally. In consequence of the judicious management of the trustees, it appears that, at the end of thirteen years, a profit of £76 has accrued from it, and the habits of those for whose benefit it has been so successfully carried on have been much improved. The new and elegant parish church stands at a short distance eastward ; and in the town is a small but very neat meeting-house belonging to the Wesleyan Methodists, Male and female parochial schools are kept in the town, in connection with different societies, aided by the Earl of Charleville and the rector. Not far distant are the ruins of the castle of Pallaskenry, originally built by the O'Donovans, but for many gene-rations in the possession of the Fitzgeralds. In a quarry near the town was found an ancient silver bodkin, weighing 5oz. 2dr., now in the possession of Sir Aubrey de Vere, Bart. ; and in 1834, part of a golden fibula, weighing 3oz., was found in a drain near the church, Numerous petrifactions have been found in a stream which flows through Currah and Hollypark wood, and also in the neighbourhood of Dromore lake, about a mile from the town.


Irish Times subscribers | | John Grenham | | Sitemap | | Login | | Subscribe | | Contact | | FAQs | | What's new?| | Privacy policy

Copyright © John Grenham 2021