CLOON, or CLONE, a parish and village, partly in the barony of CARRIGALLEN, but chiefly in that of MOHILL, county of LEITRIM, and province of CONNAUGHT, 3 miles (E. N. E.) from Mohill ; containing 19,589 inhabitants. An abbey was founded here about the year 570, by St. Fraech or Froech, which was then called Cluain-cholluing, and the site of it Cluain-Con-macne, in the territory of Muntereoluis, now part of the county of Leitrim ; it was subsequently dedicated to its founder, and was formerly of very great repute ; it afterwards took the name of Clone, and became a parish church. The land is chiefly under tillage ; limestone is quarried for agricultural and other uses. Lead ore has been found near Aughavas, but has not been worked to any extent, The principal seats are, Rhynn, the residence of Lord Clements, pleasantly si-tuated on the well-planted shore of Rhynn lake, an ex-tensive sheet of water abounding with fish ; Lakefield, of Duke Crofton, Esq. ; Drumdarkin, of G. B. West, Esq. ; and Brook Lawn, of Mrs. O'Brien. The village is a constabulary police station, and fairs are held on Feb. 12th, April 5th, May 26th, June 13th, July 10th, Aug. 26th, Sept. 29th, Nov. 2nd, and Dec. 20th ; they are well attended, and are among the principal in the county for cattle, Petty sessions are held every alternate Wednesday. The living is a rectory and vicarage, in the diocese of Ardagh, and in the patronage of the Bishop : the tithes amount to #1009. 18. 8. The glebe-house is not in a habitable state : the glebe, in five separate portions, comprises 323 acres. The church, a plain edifice in the early English style, was erected by aid of a loan of #1500 from the late Board of First Fruits, in 1821 ; the former church had several portions of the old abbey incorporated with it ; but it has been entirely removed to make room for the present structure. In the R. C. divisions this parish forms three parochial unions or districts, the chapels of which are situated respectively at Cloon, Aughavas, and Gortlitera. There are six public schools, one of which is supported by the rector, and two by S. White, Esq. In these schools about 340 boys and 200 girls are instructed ; and there are 25 pay schools, in which are about 1440 children ; and two Sunday schools. There is a loan fund, with a capital of #300. At Rhynn are the remains of an old castle, built by the Reynolds family, near which Lord Clements has erected a handsome residence ; and there are two chalybeate springs in the parish.