All Lewis entries for Annaduff



Annaduff

More information on Lewis' Topographical Dictionary of Ireland (1837)



Accompanying Lewis map for Leitrim


ANNADUFF

ANNADUFF, or ANNAGHDUFF, a parish, partly in the barony of MOHILL, but chiefly in that of LEITRIM, county of LEITRIM, and province of CONNAUGHT; containing, with the post-town of Drumsna, 5858 inhabitants. This place is situated on the mail coach road from Dublin to Sligo, and on the river Shannon, which here forms the beautiful and picturesque loughs of Bodarig and Boflin. An abbey was founded here in 766; but there are no further accounts of it, and the only vestiges are a few curious stones worked into the window in the south gable of the ancient parish church, the ruins of which are in the present churchyard. In

the reign of Jas. II. a skirmish took place here between the partisans of that monarch and the troops of Wm. III., at a ford over the river Shannon, near Derrycarne, and the spot is still called James's Heap. The parish comprises 8428 statute acres, as applotted under the tithe act, and valued at #6871. 4. 10. per annum: it is principally under an improving system of tillage. There is a tract of bog, affording a good supply of fuel: limestone of inferior quality is quarried, and freestone is found in the vicinity of Drumod. Iron ore exists in various parts, particularly near Drumod. The principal seats are Mount Campbell, the handsome residence of Admiral Sir Josias Rowley, Bart.; Derrycarne, of F. Nisbett, Esq., surrounded by a well-planted demesne and picturesquely situated between the two loughs, Bodarig and Boffin; Lismoyle, of T. Waldron, Esq.; and the residence of Messrs. Walsh, near Drumsna, commanding extensive views of the Shannon and surrounding country. The living is a rectory and vicarage, in the diocese of Ardagh, and in the patronage of the Bishop : the tithes amount to #262. 13. 1. The church is a neat edifice, in the later English style, with a square tower crowned with minarets, for the erection of which the late Board of First Fruits, in 1815, granted a loan of #1600. There is also a chapel of ease at Drumod. The glebe-house is a good residence, and the glebe comprises 300 acres. The R. C. parish is co-extensive with that of the Established Church: the chapel, at Aughamore, is in a very bad state of repair, and it is in contemplation to erect a new one as soon as a convenient site can be obtained. Divine service is also performed in a school-house. There are four schools, affording instruction to about 120 boys and 180 girls; also six pay schools, in which are about 270 boys and 100 girls, and two Sunday schools.-See DRUMOD and DRUMSNA.


DRUMOD

DRUMOD, a village, in the parish of ANNADUFF, barony of MOHILL, county of LEITRIM, and province of CONNAUGHT, 5 miles (S.) from Drumsna, on the road from Dublin to Sligo ; containing 29 houses and 162 inhabitants. This village originated in the establishment of works for smelting iron ore, which were carried on successfully till the supply of fuel failed in 1798, since which period the ore, which is reckoned of good quality, has been sent to England. It is a constabulary police station; petty sessions are held every Thursday, and cattle fairs on Jan. 3rd, March 28th, May 14th, June 29th, Aug. 13th, Oct. 10th, and Dec. 10th. Here is a chapel of ease, which was erected at the expense of F. Nesbitt, Esq.-See ANNADUFF.


DRUMSNA

DRUMSNA, a post-town, in the parish of ANNADUFF, barony and county of LEITRIM, and province of CONNAUGHT, 3? miles (S. E.) from Carrick-on-Shannon, and 72? miles (W. N. w.) from Dublin, on the river Shannon and on the mail road to Sligo ; containing 427 inhabitants. It comprises about 70 slated houses, several of which are large and handsome, and is a constabulary police station. Petty sessions are held every Tuesday, and fairs on May 20th, June 22nd, Aug. 25th, Oct. 7th, and Dec. 13th. The vicinity presents some of the most beautiful scenes in the county ; in one direction are seen the windings of the Shannon through a fertile district, the projection of a wooded peninsula on its course, the heights of Sheebeg and Sheemore, with the more lofty mountain of Slieve-an-erin in the distance ; and in the other, the luxuriant and varied swell of Teeraroon, the adjacent part of the county of Roscommon. A pleasing walk through the woods, from which is discovered the windings of the Shannon and the lofty mountains to the north and west, conducts to a sulphureous spring issuing from the verge of a small lake. A little to the south of the town an expansion of the river forms Lough Boffin. The seats in its immediate vicinity are, Mount Campbell, the handsome residence of Vice Admiral Sir James Rowley, Bart., which is divided by the Shannon from Charlestown, that of Sir Gilbert King, Bart, In the latter is an avenue of fine limetrees through which the town is seen to great advantage. On the hill above the town is the pleasant residence of the Messrs. Walsh, commanding extensive views of thc river and surrounding country ; and a little below the town, on the Roscommon shore, is Clonteen, a lodge belonging to the Marquess of Westmeath.-See ANNADUFF.


Irish Times subscribers | | John Grenham | | Sitemap | | Login | | Subscribe | | Contact | | FAQs | | What's new?| | Privacy policy

Copyright © John Grenham 2020