All entries for Skirk



Skirk

More information on Samuel Lewis' Topographical Dictionary of Ireland (1837)
Accompanying Lewis map for Laois

SKEIRKE

SKEIRKE, a parish, in the barony of UPPER OSSORY, QUEEN'S county, and province of LEINSTER, 1? miles (S. S. W.) from Burros-in-Ossory, on the road to Templemore ; containing 911 inhabitants. This parish comprises 1922 statute acres, as applotted under the tithe act : the land is generally of good quality, and the greater portion is under tillage ; the system of agriculture is improved, and there is neither wasteland nor bog. The principal seats are Ballymellish, the residence of B. Thacker, Esq. ; Skeirke Cottage, of R. Steele, Esq. ; and the residence of the Rev. T. S. Monk. The living is a vicarage, in the diocese of Ossory, and in the patronage of the Crown ; the rectory is impropriate in the corporation of Kilkenny. The tithes amount to #135, of which #90 is payable to the impropriators, and the remainder to the vicar ; the glebe comprises 188? acres. The church, towards the erection of which the late Board of First Fruits granted a loan of #500, in 1831, is a small neat edifice. In the R. C. divisions the parish forms part of the union of Rathdowney. About 90 children are taught in a public school, partly supported by the incumbent ; and there is a private school, in which are about 60 children. There are some Druidical remains, situated on a high hill, and consisting of a circular area enclosed with a stone rampart, and surrounded with a fosse ; in the centre of the area is a pyramidal stone, about six feet high, with fragments of several others ; towards the eastern side are the remains of a cromlech, and towards the north is a high mound with a flat summit. There are also some ruins of the ancient castle of Garran.

SLATEY

SLATEY, SLEATY, or SLETTY, a parish, in the barony of SLIEVEMARGUE, QUEEN'S county, and province of LEINSTER, 1? mile (N. N. W.) from Carlow ; containing 189 inhabitants. This parish, which is situated on the river Barrow, comprises 656 statute acres, as applotted under the tithe act, and valued at #728 per annum. Knockbeg is the residence of W. Carruthers, Esq. ; and here is also that of Gerald Byrne, Esq. The living is a rectory, in the diocese of Leighlin, united to that of Shruel, and in the patronage of the Bishop : the tithes amount to #60, and the gross value of the benefice is #106. 3. 1. In the R. C. divisions it forms part of the union or district of Killeshin. Here is a hedge school of 10 boys and 4 girls. St. Fiech is said to have founded a church and bishoprick here, in the fifth century, the latter of which was afterwards transferred to Leighlin ; in the churchyard are two stone crosses of remote antiquity ; and there are ruins of a small church called Slieb-teach, or "The House near the Mountains," which is said to have been originally a place of great importance.


Irish Times subscribers | | John Grenham | | Sitemap | | Login | | Subscribe | | Contact | | FAQs | | What's new?| | Privacy policy

Copyright © John Grenham 2019