All Lewis entries for Rearymore



Rearymore

More information on Samuel Lewis' Topographical Dictionary of Ireland (1837)
Accompanying Lewis map for Laois

RERYMORE

RERYMORE, or REARY, a parish, in the barony of TINNEHINCH, QUEEN'S county, and province of LEINSTER, 6 miles (N. W.) from Mountmellick, on the road to Parsonstown ; containing 2729 inhabitants. This parish is situated on the river Barrow, which is here little more than a mountain stream : the land is generally of good quality and in a profitable state of cultivation ; it is chiefly under tillage, and the system of agriculture is improved, The principal seats are Reary Vale, the residence of R. Meredith, Esq., and Rerymore, of J. Meredith, Esq., in the grounds of which are the ruins of the ancient church, with an extensive burial-place, which is still in use. The living is a vicarage, in the diocese of Kildare, forming part of the union of Oregan, or Rosenallis ; the rectory is impropriate in Gen. Dunne, The tithes amount to £220. 2. 5-., of which £146. 14. 11-. is payable to the impropriator, and £73. 7. 6. to the vicar, In the R. C. divisions the parish is partly in the union of Clonaslee, and partly in that of Rosenallis. About 110 children are taught in two public schools ; and there is a private school, in which are about 20 children. Near the ruins of the church is a well dedicated to St. Finian, which is still held in great veneration by the peasantry and greatly resorted to on the festival of that saint ; it consists of three or four cavities in the solid rock, which are always full of clear water.


Irish Times subscribers | | John Grenham | | Sitemap | | Login | | Subscribe | | Contact | | FAQs | | What's new?| | Privacy policy

Copyright © John Grenham 2021