RATHSARAN, a parish, in the barony of UPPER OSSORY, QUEEN'S county, and province of LEINSTER, 2? miles (W.) from Rathdowney, on the road from Dublin to Thurles ; containing 868 inhabitants. This parish is bounded on the west by the county of Tipperary, and comprises 2065 statute acres, as applotted under the tithe act. The living is a rectory and vicarage, in the diocese of Ossory, and in the patronage of the Bishop : the tithes amount to #130, and the glebe comprises 114 acres. The glebe-house was erected by aid of a gift of #250, and a loan of #550, in 1820, from the late Board of First Fruits, The church was built in 1797, by aid of a gift of #500 from the same Board. In the R. C. divisions it forms part of the union or district of Rathdowney, and contains a chapel. The parochial school, in which are about 50 children, is aided by a contribution from the rector, and a grant of #8 per annum from the Society for Discountenancing Vice.