All Lewis entries for Monksgrange



Monksgrange

More information on Samuel Lewis' Topographical Dictionary of Ireland (1837)
Accompanying Lewis map for Laois

GRANGE

GRANGE, or GRANGEMONK, also called MONKSGRANGE, a parish, in the barony of BALLYADAMS, QUEEN'S county, and province of LEINSTER, 4 miles (N.) from Carlow, on the river Barrow ; containing 240 inhabitants. This parish comprises 841 statute acres, as applotted under the tithe act, and valued at £490 per annum. It is a vicarage, in the diocese of Leighlin, and in the gift of G. Hartpole, Esq., in whom the rectory is impropriate. The tithes amount to £55. 7. 8-., of which £36. 18. 5-. is payable to the impropriator, and the remainder to the vicar. There is neither church, glebe-house, nor glebe. In the R. C. divisions it forms part of the union or district of Mayo, or Arles and Ballylinan. There is an old churchyard, which is the burial-place of the Hartpolc family, also the ruins of a castle.


Irish Times subscribers | | John Grenham | | Sitemap | | Login | | Subscribe | | Contact | | FAQs | | What's new?| | Privacy policy

Copyright © John Grenham 2021