All entries for Kilmanman



Kilmanman

More information on Samuel Lewis' Topographical Dictionary of Ireland (1837)
Accompanying Lewis map for Laois

CLONASLEE

CLONASLEE, an ecclesiastical district, in the barony of TINNEHINCH, QUEEN'S county, and province of LEINSTER, 7? miles (W. N. W.) from Mountmellick, and 47? (W. S. W.) from Dublin ; containing 514 inhabitants, and in the village 79 houses, This place is situated on the river Barradois, over which is a good bridge, and has a penny post to Mountmellick, There is a boultingmill in the parish, and fairs are held on May 3rd and Nov. 7th, and petty sessions weekly. Adjoining the village is the fine demesne of Brittas, the property of Gen. Dunne. The district was formerly part of the parish of Kilmanman, in the union of Rosinallis, from which it was separated some years since and erected into a district parish. It is a perpetual curacy, in the diocese of Kildare, and in the patronage of the Incumbent of Rosinallis. The church is a handsome edifice, with a well-proportioned spire, erected in 1814, under the direction and auspices of Gen. Dunne, aided hy a gift of #800 and a loan of #300 from the late Board of First Fruits, and for the repairs of which the Ecclesiastical Commissioners have recently granted #377. 5. 6. The glebe-house was built by a gift of #450 and a loan of #50 from the late Board of First Fruits, in 1830. In the R. C. divisions it is the head of a union or district, comprising also parts of the parishes of Rery and Kilmanman ; the chapel is a spacious building. There is a parochial school, and also a school in connection with the trustees of Erasmus Smith's charity ; the school-house, a large slated building, was erected at an expense of #300. At Clara Hill, about a mile from the village, are the ruins of an old castle, which was formerly the residence of a younger branch of the Dunne family ; and near the east bank of the Barradois or Clodiagh river are the ruins of a castle, called Ballinakill, built in 1680 hy Col. Dunne. To the south of this is Coolamona, once a place of considerable strength, forming an outpost of Tinnehinch, but now nearly demolished, In the neighbourhood are some raths, in one of which was found, in 1734, a rude kistvaen of unhewn flags, covered by a tumulus of earth and stones.

KILMANMAN

KILMANMAN, or CLONASLEE, a parish, in the barony of TINNEHINCH, QUEEN'S county, and province of LEINSTER, 4 miles (S. E.) from Balliboy ; containing 3186 inhabitants. The name signifies the "church of Manman," which he is said to have founded here in the 7th century. He also built the monastery of Lanchoil, or Lahoil, and called it Corrigeen, or the "hermitage of the rocks." It is about two miles west from Kilmanman church, and near it is a barrow, called "the giant's grave." The parish comprises 5817 statute acres of arable and pasture land, besides between six and seven thousand acres of bog and mountain. It is in the diocese of Kildare ; the rectory is impropriate in Gen. E. Dunne ; the vicarage forms part of the union of Rosinallis, or Oregan ; and there is a perpetual curacy, consisting of this parish and two towalands of the parish of Rerymore, called Clonaslee, which is in the patronage of the vicar. The tithes amount to #283. 7. 8?., of which #177. 8. 1?. is payable to the impropriator, #59. 16. 6. to the vicar, and #46. 3. 1. to the perpetual curate. The church is in Clonaslee, and has lately been repaired by a grant of #377 from the Ecclesiastical Commissioners. In the R. C. divisions it forms the greater part of the union or district of Clonaslee, where the chapel is situated. There are two public schools, one at Clonaslee under the trustees of Erasmus Smith's charity, in which about 150 children are educated, and four private schools, in which are about 130, In this parish is Lough Annagh, which is three miles in circumference, and abounds with pike. roach, and perch. In the middle of this lake, where it is most shallow, certain oak framing is yet visible, and there is a traditional report that in the war of 1641 a party of insurgents had a wooden house erected on this platform, whence they went out at night in a boat and plundered the surrounding country. The principal residences are Brittas, that of Gen. Dunne ; Castle Cuffe, of the Rev. J. Baldwin, in whose ground. are the ruins of the baronial house, erected by the first Sir Chas. Coote, Bart., and destroyed in 1641. Edge Hill, of Mrs. Corbett ; Brocka Lodge, of W. Dunne, Esq. ; Coolnabanch, of W. T. Lane ; and the Cottage, of G. Fenamore, Esq. That this district was formerly well wooded appears from Queen Elizabeth having thanked an English commander for conducting a party of her cavalry in safety through the woods of Oregan. At Killyshane there was formerly a nunnery, the burial-ground of which,with several monumental stones of great antiquity, was discovered in 1768.-See CLONASLEE.


Irish Times subscribers | | John Grenham | | Sitemap | | Login | | Subscribe | | Contact | | FAQs | | What's new?| | Privacy policy

Copyright © John Grenham 2018