All entries for Killermogh



Killermogh

More information on Samuel Lewis' Topographical Dictionary of Ireland (1837)
Accompanying Lewis map for Laois

KILLERMOGH

KILLERMOGH, or KILDERMOY, a parish, in the barony of UPPER OSSORY, QUEEN'S county, and province of LEINSTER, 1? mile (N. by W.) from Durrow, on the road from that place to Roscrea ; containing 1078 inhabitants. It comprises 2916 statute acres, of which about 250 are waste land and bog ; the remainder is arable and pasture land. Limestone is obtained for building and burning. Here is Tentower, the seat of R. Wolfe, Esq. The living is a rectory and vicarage, in the diocese of Ossory, and in the patronage of the Ladies Fitzpatrick : the tithes amount to 141. 1. 8?. The church, which is a neat building, but not in good repair, was erected in 1796, by aid of a gift of #500 from the late Board of First Fruits, which also gave #100 and lent #550, in 1817, for the erection of the glebe-house : the glebe comprises 306a. 2r. 23p. In the R C. divisions this parish forms part of the union or district of Aghavoe. About 100 children are educated in two public schools, aided by the Ladies Fitzpatrick, and of which the parochial school is also aided by the rector ; and there is a Sunday-school. St. Columb is said to have founded an abbey here in 558.


Irish Times subscribers | | John Grenham | | Sitemap | | Login | | Subscribe | | Contact | | FAQs | | What's new?| | Privacy policy

Copyright © John Grenham 2019