All Lewis entries for "Fossy or Timahoe"



"Fossy or Timahoe"

More information on Samuel Lewis' Topographical Dictionary of Ireland (1837)
Accompanying Lewis map for Laois

FOSSEY

FOSSEY, or TIMAHOE, a parish, partly in the barony of MARYBOROUGH, but chiefly in that of CULLINAGH, QUEEN'S county, and province of LEINSTER, 2 miles (S. W.) from Stradbally, on the road from Stradbally to Ballinakill ; containing 1810 inhabitants, and comprising 10,600 statute acres, as applotted under the tithe act. Fairs are held on April 5th, July 2nd, and Oct. 18th. The living is a vicarage, in the diocese of Leighlin, and in the patronage of the Bishop ; the rectory is impropriate in J. Hone, Esq. The tithes amount to £387. 13. 9., of which £258. 9. 2-. is payable to the impropriator, and the remainder to the vicar. In the R. C. divisions this parish forms part of the union or district of Stradbally, and contains a handsome chapel. The parochial school is aided by Mrs. Cosby ; and there are five private schools, in which about 170 children are educated.

TIMAHOE

TIMAHOE, a village, in the parish of FOSEY, or TIMAHOE, barony of CULLINAGH, QUEEN'S county, and province of LEINSTER, 4- miles (S. S. W.) from Stradbally, on the road to Ballinakill ; containing 96 inhabitants. This place takes its name from the foundation here of the monastery of Teach-Mochoe, by St. Mochoe, who died in 497, and which was destroyed by fire in 1142 : it was afterwards refounded by the O'Mores, but of its further history there is no record. There are still some slight remains of the building, near which is an ancient round tower, 33 feet high ; the doorway is 14 feet from the ground and is ornamented with a zigzag moulding, and the whole is in good preservation. A castle was erected here in the reign of Elizabeth by the Cosby family, whose descendants are still proprietors of the estate : the ruins form a very interesting and picturesque object. In 1642 a battle took place here between a party of forces under Col. Monck, on his return from the relief of Ballinakill, and a party under Gen. Preston, who had advanced to intercept his retreat, in which the latter was repulsed with considerable loss. The vicinity abounds with rich pastures and extensive dairy farms, and much butter of very superior quality is sent hither for sale, The village, which contains only nine houses, is pleasantly situated, Fairs are held on April 5th, July 2nd, and Oct. 18th. ; and a constabulary police force is stationed here. The R. C. chapel of the union of Stradbally, a handsome cruciform edifice in the early English style, lately erected at an expense of £2000, is situated in the village ; in which is also the parochial school, under the patronage of Mrs. Cosby.


Irish Times subscribers | | John Grenham | | Sitemap | | Login | | Subscribe | | Contact | | FAQs | | What's new?| | Privacy policy

Copyright © John Grenham 2021