All Lewis entries for Curraclone



Curraclone

More information on Samuel Lewis' Topographical Dictionary of Ireland (1837)
Accompanying Lewis map for Laois

CORCLONE

CORCLONE, a parish, in the barony of STRADBALLY, QUEEN'S county, and province of LEINSTER, 2 miles (N. E.) from Stradbally, on the road to Athy ; containing 650 inhabitants, This parish comprises about 2400 statute acres, as applotted under the tithe act. The Grand Canal passes through it. The gentlemen's seats are Ballykilcavan, the residence of Sir E. H. Walsh, Bant. ; and Brockley Park, of Finer, Esq. The living, formerly united to that of Killeny, from which it has been recently separated, is a rectory, in the diocese of Leighlin, and in the patronage of the Bishop ; the tithes amount to £233. There is no glebe-house ; the glebe comprises 2a. 39p, The church is a neat small edifice in good repair, In the R. C. divisions the parish forms part of the union or district of Stradbally ; there is no chapel at present, but it is in contemplation to build one at Vickerstown.


Irish Times subscribers | | John Grenham | | Sitemap | | Login | | Subscribe | | Contact | | FAQs | | What's new?| | Privacy policy

Copyright © John Grenham 2021