All Lewis entries for Tubbridbritain



Tubbridbritain

More information on Samuel Lewis' Topographical Dictionary of Ireland (1837)
Accompanying Lewis map for Kilkenny

TUBBRIDBRITTAIN

TUBBRIDBRITTAIN, or TUBBRIDBRETAIN, a parish, in the barony of CRANAGH, county of KILKENNY, and province of LEINSTER, 5 miles (S. W.) from Freshford, on the road to Urlingford ; containing 556 inhabitants, and comprising 3884 statute acres. It is a vicarage, in the diocese of Ossory, forming part of the union of Aghoure, or Freshford ; the rectory is impropriate in the corporation of Kilkenny. The tithes amount to £250, of which £166. 13. 4. is payable to the corporation, and £83. 6. 8. to the vicar. In the R. C. divisions the parish forms part of the union or district of Urlingford, and contains a large chapel recently erected. The parochial school, in which about 80 children are taught, is aided by subscriptions ; and there is a private school, in which are about 140 children. Here is an ancient castle, consisting of a square tower.


Irish Times subscribers | | John Grenham | | Sitemap | | Login | | Subscribe | | Contact | | FAQs | | What's new?| | Privacy policy

Copyright © John Grenham 2021