STAMCARTHY, or STUMCARTHY, a parish, in the barony of SHILLELOGHER, county of KILKENNY, and province of LEINSTER, 2- miles (N. W.) from Knocktopher, on the road from Stoneyford to Pilltown and Carrick-on-Suir ; containing 1066 inhabitants, and comprising 1452 statute acres, as applotted under the tithe act. It is a rectory, in the diocese of Ossory, forming part of the union of Kells : the tithes amount to £35. 18. 5-. In the R. C. divisions it is part of the union or district of Ballyhale ; the chapel, a neat modern building, is in the village of Stoneyford. About 120 children are educated in three schools, one of which, for infants, is supported by Mrs. Flood.