All Lewis entries for Rathcoole



Rathcoole

More information on Samuel Lewis' Topographical Dictionary of Ireland (1837)
Accompanying Lewis map for Kilkenny

JOHNSWELL

JOHNSWELL, a village, in the parishes of RATHCOOL and KILDERRY, barony of GOWRAN, county of KILKENNY, and province of LEINSTER, 4 miles (N.) from Kilkenny, containing 74 houses and 446 inhabitants. It is a constabulary police station, and has a R. C. chapel. Attempts have recently been made to obtain coal at Ballysella, in the neighbourhood, with some prospect of success.

RATHCOOL

RATHCOOL, a parish, in the barony of GOWRAN, county of KILKENNY, and province of LEINSTER, 4 miles (N. N. E.) from Kilkenny ; containing 1225 inhabitants, and comprising 5110- statute acres. Within its limits is Sandsford's Court, the property of Michael Warren, Esq. ; and at Johnswell is a station of the constabulary police. The living is a vicarage, united to that of Kilkyran, and in the gift of the Dean and Chapter, to whom the rectory is appropriate : the tithes of the united parishes amount to £330, of which £220 is payable to the appropriators, and the remainder to the vicar. In the R. C. divisions it forms part of the union or district of St. John's ; the chapel is at Johnswell, where there is also a school of about 100 children, under the patronage of Mr. Warren.


Irish Times subscribers | | John Grenham | | Sitemap | | Login | | Subscribe | | Contact | | FAQs | | What's new?| | Privacy policy

Copyright © John Grenham 2021