All Lewis entries for Listerlin



Listerlin

More information on Samuel Lewis' Topographical Dictionary of Ireland (1837)
Accompanying Lewis map for Kilkenny

LISTERLING

LISTERLING, a parish, in the barony of IDA, county of KILKENNY, and province of LEINSTER, 4 miles (S. S. W.) from Inistioge ; containing 1551 inhabitants. The parish is intersected by the Argala, a small mountain river, and is only half a mile from the river Nore ; it comprises 5532 statute acres, as applotted under the tithe act, more than two-thirds of which are in pasture ; the remainder, with the exception of a small portion of meadow, is under tillage. The soil is in general argillaceous, on a basis of brittle clay-slate, which is quarried on the lands of Listerling and Brownstown ; and a vein has been discovered in the former townland containing lead ore, copper and silver, but it has not been worked. In consequence of the small quantity of bog, the principal supply of fuel is obtained from the neighbouring parish of Burnchurch. The village, which contains 25 houses, is a station of the constabulary police ; and fairs are held on Jan. 4th, May 6th, June 6th, Sept. 17th, Oct. 24th, and Dec. 5th. The living is a rectory and vicarage, in the diocese of Ossory, and in the patronage of the Bishop: the tithes amount to £258. 9. 2-. The glebe-house was erected in 1821 by aid of a gift of £300 and a loan of £500 from the late Board of First Fruits ; the glebe comprises 10- acres. The church was built in 1796, by aid of a gift of £500 from the same Board, and has been recently repaired by a grant of £207 from the Ecclesiastical Commissioners. In the R. C. divisions the parish forms part of the union or district of Rosbercon. About 210 children are educated in a private school. There are several raths in different parts of the parish ; and at Listerling is a mount surrounded by a fosse, from which it is supposed to derive its name, originally perhaps Lis-Easterling, or " the abode of the Ostmen ;" near it has been found a small artificial cave, and it is traditionally stated that St. Mullen formerly resided at or near this moat.


Irish Times subscribers | | John Grenham | | Sitemap | | Login | | Subscribe | | Contact | | FAQs | | What's new?| | Privacy policy

Copyright © John Grenham 2021