All Lewis entries for Kilderry



Kilderry

More information on Samuel Lewis' Topographical Dictionary of Ireland (1837)
Accompanying Lewis map for Kilkenny

JOHNSWELL

JOHNSWELL, a village, in the parishes of RATHCOOL and KILDERRY, barony of GOWRAN, county of KILKENNY, and province of LEINSTER, 4 miles (N.) from Kilkenny, containing 74 houses and 446 inhabitants. It is a constabulary police station, and has a R. C. chapel. Attempts have recently been made to obtain coal at Ballysella, in the neighbourhood, with some prospect of success.

KILDERRY

KILDERRY, a parish, in the barony of GOWRAN, county of KILKENNY, and province of LEINSTER, 4 miles (N. E. by N.) from Kilkenny; containing 718 inhabitants. It comprises 2153 statute acres, as applotted under the tithe act, and is a rectory and vicarage, in the diocese of Ossory, forming part of the union of Mothell: the tithes amount to £160. In the R. C. divisions it is part of the union or district of St. John's.


Irish Times subscribers | | John Grenham | | Sitemap | | Login | | Subscribe | | Contact | | FAQs | | What's new?| | Privacy policy

Copyright © John Grenham 2021