All entries for Earlstown



Earlstown

More information on Samuel Lewis' Topographical Dictionary of Ireland (1837)
Accompanying Lewis map for Kilkenny

EARLSTOWN

EARLSTOWN, a parish, in the barony of SHILLELOGHER, county of KILKENNY, and province of LEINSTER, 2? miles (E.) from Callan, on the road from Desart to Thomastown ; containing 679 inhabitants. This parish is situated on the King's river, here crossed by a stone bridge, and comprises 2916 statute acres. Kilcoran is the residence of 3. Baker, Esq. ; and Newtown House, of the Rev. B. Morris. It is a vicarage, in the diocese of Ossory, forming part of the union of Kells: the tithes amount to #197. 9. 9?. In the R. C. divisions it is part of the union of Callan, and contains a chapel. Here is a private school of about 100 children. At Castle-Eve are the remains of an old castle, with a moat and fortifications ; in the Newtown dernesne is a square tower castle, in a good state of preservation ; and there are some small remains of the old church, with a burial-ground.


Irish Times subscribers | | John Grenham | | Sitemap | | Login | | Subscribe | | Contact | | FAQs | | What's new?| | Privacy policy

Copyright © John Grenham 2018