DUNGARVAN, a parish, in the barony of GOWRAN, county of KILKENNY, and province of LEINSTER, 3 miles (S.) from Gowran, on the road from Dublin to Waterford ; containing 1784 inhabitants, of which number, 75 are in the hamlet, The parish comprises 9134 statute acres, as applotted under the tithe act, and is a constabulary police station. The living is a vicarage, in the diocese of Ossory, and in the patronage of the Crown ; the rectory is impropriate in J. Hamilton Bunbury, Esq. The tithes amount to £480, of which £320 is paid to the impropriator and £160 to the vicar. The glebe-house was erected in 1813, by aid of a gift of £400 and a loan of £400 from the late Board of First Fruits : there is a glebe of 15 acres. The church is a small plain building, erected by aid of a gift of £800, in 1812, from the same Board, and lately repaired by the Ecclesiastical Commissioners, at an expense of £283. In the R. C. divisions this parish forms part of the union or district of Gowran, and contains a chapel. The parish school is supported by the incumbent, and there are three pay schools, in which about 300 children are instructed. Here is a very large moat, also the ruins of a square castle at Neiglam.