All Lewis entries for Danesfort



Danesfort

More information on Samuel Lewis' Topographical Dictionary of Ireland (1837)
Accompanying Lewis map for Kilkenny

ANNAMULT

ANNAMULT, otherwise AGHNAMOLT, a parish, in the barony of SHILLELOGHER, county of KILKENNY, and province of LEINSTER, 6 miles (S.) from Kilkenny; containing 45S inhabitants. It is situated on the river Nore, which here receives the King's river, on the high road from Stoneyford to Kilkenny by Bennett's-Bridge, and contains 1664 statute acres. An extensive Merino factory for superfine cloth, with a farm attached, was established here about 20 years since, at an expense, including the machinery, of nearly £30,000, and a further sum of £10,000 was subsequently expended on additional buildings and machinery. This excellent establishment, in which about 800 persons were employed and every process of the manufacture was carried on, was conducted on a plan which afforded to the children of the neighbouring peasantry the means of acquiring not only a knowledge of the trade, but also an useful elementary education; but from unavoidable losses and want of sufficient encouragement the undertaking was abandoned by its projectors, in 1822, and the works were subsequently taken by a firm in Dublin and Leeds, which, in 1826, being unable to obtain a satisfactory lease, discontinued them, and they are now unoccupied. Except about 25 acres of woodland attached to Annamult, the handsome residence of T. Neville, Esq., and to the residence of the Rev. Dr. Butler, the lands are all arable and pasture; about one-half are held immediately from Major Wemyss, and the other half under the lessees of Sir J. Blunden, Bart. The parish is tithe-free it is a rectory, in the diocese of Ossory, and forms part of the union of Kells. In the R. C. divisions it is united to Danesfort.

BENNETTS-BRIDGE

BENNETTS-BRIDGE a village, partly in the parish of KILLARNEY, barony of GOWRAN, and partly in that of DANESFORT, barony of SHILLELOGHER, county of KILKENNY, and province of LEINSTER, 5 miles (W. S. W.) from Gowran; containing 426 inhabitants. This place is situated on the river Nore, which is here crossed by a good stone bridge on the road from Kilkenny to Thomastown, and contains 85 houses. There are some flour-mills in the immediate vicinity. Fairs are held on Feb. 24th, Aug. 26th, Sept. 19th, and Dec. 21st; and it is a station of the constabulary police. There is a R. C. chapel of ease to Danesfort, with a national school adjoining it.-See KILLARNEY and DANESFORT.

DANESFORT

DANESFORT, or DUNFORT, a parish, in the barony of SHILLELOGHER, county of KILKENNY, and province of LEINSTER, 3 miles (S.) from Kilkenny, on the road to Thomastown ; containing, with the parish of Annamult, and part of that of Tradingetown or Ballyreddin, 1263 inhabitants. This parish, which is also called Dunfert and Dunsert, comprises 5832 statute acres, as applotted under the tithe act : the land is principally under tillage, the soil fertile, and the system of agriculture improved ; limestone is found in abundance, and is quarried both for building and burning into lime for manure. Danesfort, the seat of Major Henry Wemys, is pleasantly situated ; in the demesne are the ruins of an ancient church. It is a vicarage, in the diocese of Ossory, and is part of the union of Burnchurch ; the rectory is impropriate in the mayor, aldermen, and burgesses of the city of Kilkenny. The tithes amount to £250 of which one-half is payable to the corporation. and the other half to the vicar. In the R. C. divisions it is the head of a union or district, comprising also the parishes of Ennisnag, Killahane and Grove, Grange Abbey, and Annamult, and parts of the parishes of Ballyreddin, Burnchurch, Kells, and Ballybar : there are five chapels, situated respectively at Danesfort, Lady's-well, Grange, Bennet's-bridge, and Kells-grange. There Is a school at Bennet's-bridge under the National Board, in which are about 80 children ; and there are two pay schools, in which about 100 are educated. Here was anciently a castle, built by William, Earl Mareschal ; and there are several Danish forts in the parish.


Irish Times subscribers | | John Grenham | | Sitemap | | Login | | Subscribe | | Contact | | FAQs | | What's new?| | Privacy policy

Copyright © John Grenham 2021