All Lewis entries for Burnchurch



Burnchurch

More information on Samuel Lewis' Topographical Dictionary of Ireland (1837)
Accompanying Lewis map for Kilkenny

BURNCHURCH

BURNCHURCH, or KILTRANEEN, a parish, partly in the barony of GALMOY, but chiefly in that of SHILLELOGHER, county of KILKENNY, and province of LEINSTER, 4 miles (S. S. W.) from Kilkenny; containing 1450 inhabitants. This parish is situated on the road from Kilkenny to Carrick-on-Suir, and comprises 5373statute acres : it is principally under an improved system of tillage ; there is plenty of limestone, used chiefly for burning into lime. Farmley, the seat of R. Flood, Esq., is situated in a well-planted demesne, and was the residence of the Rt. Hon. Henry Flood, one of the most distinguished members of the Irish House of Commons, who died here in 1791, and was interred in the parish church. This place has a patent for fairs, but none are held. The living is a vicarage, in the diocese of Ossory, to which the vicarages of Danesfort, Kilfeara, Abbey-Jerpoint, West-Jerpoint, Ballylinch, and Grangeleggan or Grangeclovan, and the denominations of Dunbell, Grange-Kilree, Woollen- Grange, Blackrath-Grange, Garran, Mocktown or Rathbin, Ardera, Lismatigue, and Plebestown have been immemorially united and were consolidated by act of council in 1678, forming the union of Burnchurch, which is in the alternate patronage of the Crown and the Bishop; the rectory is appropriate to the vicars choral of the cathedral of Christchurch, Dublin: the tithes of the parish amount to £320. 12. 6. payable in moieties to the vicars choral and the vicar. The church is a neat edifice with a steeple, built by aid of a loan of £600; in 1810, from the late Board of First Fruits. The glebe-house was built by a gift of £100 and a loan of £1500, in 1815, from the same Board: the glebe comprises 20 acres. In the R. C. divisions the parish is included in the four several unions or districts of Danesfort, Freshford, Moncoin, and Ballyhale. The parochial school is supported by the incumbent; and there is a private school, in which are about 70 boys and 30 girls; also a Sunday school. Near the church is a fine old castle in a good state of preservation.


Irish Times subscribers | | John Grenham | | Sitemap | | Login | | Subscribe | | Contact | | FAQs | | What's new?| | Privacy policy

Copyright © John Grenham 2021