All Lewis entries for Blanchvilleskill



Blanchvilleskill

More information on Samuel Lewis' Topographical Dictionary of Ireland (1837)
Accompanying Lewis map for Kilkenny

BLANCHFIELDSTOWN

BLANCHFIELDSTOWN, or BLANCHVILLESKILL, a parish, in the barony of GOWRAN, county of KILKENNY, and province of LEINSTER, 2 miles (W. by S.) from Gowran; containing 224 inhabitants. This small parish is situated near the mail coach road from Dublin to Cork, by way of Kilkenny, and comprises 660 statute acres : the land is good and is principally under tillage, and there is plenty of limestone. Blanchvillestown, situated in a very neat demesne containing some fine timber, is the property of Major-Gen. Sir J. Kearney, and is held on lease by the Rev. Theobald Butler. It is a vicarage, in the diocese of Ossory, and forms part of the union of Kilfane and corps of the archdeaconry; the rectory is appropriate to the vicars choral of Christchurch, Dublin. The tithes amount to £69. 10. per annum, of which £46. 6. 8. is payable to the vicars choral, and £23. 3. 4. to the archdeacon. In the R. C. divisions it is included in the union or district of Gowran. There are some remains of the old church at Blanchvilleskill.


Irish Times subscribers | | John Grenham | | Sitemap | | Login | | Subscribe | | Contact | | FAQs | | What's new?| | Privacy policy

Copyright © John Grenham 2021