All entries for Ballinamara



Ballinamara

More information on Samuel Lewis' Topographical Dictionary of Ireland (1837)
Accompanying Lewis map for Kilkenny

BALLYNEMARA

BALLYNEMARA, or BALLINAMARA, a parish, in the barony of CRANAGH, county of KILKENNY, and province of LEINSTER, 2? miles (S. S. E.) from Freshford, on the road from Kilkenny to Johnstown; containing 867 inhabitants. It comprises 3755 statute acres of tolerably good land, of which about two-thirds consist of pasture land, and one-third is under tillage. The living is a vicarage, in the diocese of Ossory, and in the patronage of the Dean and Chapter of St. Canice, Kilkenny, to whom the rectory is appropriate, the tithes amount to #240, of which #160 is payable to the appropriators, and #80 to the vicar. The church is a plain modern building. There is neither glebe-house nor glebe. In the R. C. divisions the parish forms part of the union or district of Freshford. The parochial school is held in the vestry-room of the church; and there is a private pay school, in which are about 70 boys and 20 girls. The late Robt. Lanigan, Esq., bequeathed #100 for the erection of two houses for two poor widows, who are to have a small annual allowance, and preparations are in progress for carrying his intentions into effect.


Irish Times subscribers | | John Grenham | | Sitemap | | Login | | Subscribe | | Contact | | FAQs | | What's new?| | Privacy policy

Copyright © John Grenham 2019