All entries for Walterstown



Walterstown

More information on Samuel Lewis' Topographical Dictionary of Ireland (1837)
Accompanying Lewis map for Kildare

WALTERSTOWN

WALTERSTOWN, a parish, in the barony of WEST OPHALY, county of KILDARE, and province of LEINSTER, 3? miles (S. S. W.) from Kildare, on the road to Athy ; containing 298 inhabitants. It is a rectory, in the diocese of Kildare, forming part of the union and corps of the prebend of Nurney : the tithes amount to # 125. 5. 1. A new church is now being erected here, the church of Kildangan having become dilapidated. In the R. C. divisions it is part of the union or district of Kildare, Of the ancient church and burial-ground of Walterstown not a vestige now exists ; nor is there any trace remaining of the ancient castle, traditionally stated to have belonged to a branch of the Fitzgerald family.


Irish Times subscribers | | John Grenham | | Sitemap | | Login | | Subscribe | | Contact | | FAQs | | What's new?| | Privacy policy

Copyright © John Grenham 2019