All Lewis entries for Timolin



Timolin

More information on Samuel Lewis' Topographical Dictionary of Ireland (1837)
Accompanying Lewis map for Kildare

BALLYTORE

BALLYTORE, a post-town, in the parish of TIMOLAN, barony of NARRAGH and RHEBAN EAST, county of KILDARE, and province of LEINSTER, 13 miles (S. S. W.) from Naas, and 28? miles (S. W. by S.) from Dublin; containing 141 houses and 933 inhabitants. This town, which is situated on the river Griese and on the mail coach road from Dublin to Carlow, was, in 1798, taken by the insurgents, in whose possession it remained two days, and by whom it was set on fire. It is conspicuous for the neatness and regularity of its appearance, and is principally inhabited by members of the Society of Friends ; it has obtained considerable celebrity from its school, originally established in 1726, by Abraham Shackleton, a member of that society, and in which the celebrated Edmund Burke received the rudiments of his education. Ballytore House is the residence of T. R. Whitty, Esq. Fairs are held on March 10th, Aug. 15th, and Nov. 30th. A constabulary police force has been stationed in the town. There is a place of worship for the Society of Friends, established in 1707 ; a Lancasterian school is supported partly by subscription and partly by weekly payments from the children; and here are a dispensary and a savings' bank. Mary Leadbeater, daughter of Mr. Richard Shackleton, and author of "Cottage Dialogues" and other works calculated to improve the social condition of the Irish peasantry, was a native of this place.-See TIMOLIN.

TIMOLIN

TIMOLIN, a parish, partly in the barony of NARRAGH and RHEBAN-EAST, but chiefly in that of KILKEA and MOONE, county of KILDARE, and province of LEINSTER, on the river Griese and on the mail coach road from Dublin to Carlow, containing, with the post-town of Ballitore, (which is separately described), 3139 inhabitants, of which number, 288 are in the village of Timolin. The name of this place in Irish signifies " the house of Moling," from the foundation of a monastery here by St. Moling of Ferns, who died in the 7th century. In the reign of John, Robert Fitz-Richard, Lord of Noragh or Narragh, founded a convent for nuns of the Arroasian order, which he amply endowed, and also erected a strong castle here. In 1328 the church of St. Moling was burned by Edmond le Boteler ; and in the reign of Chas. I. the castle was taken by the Marquess of Ormonde, and the garrison put to the sword by order of the Lords-Justices, though conditions of peace were in progress of adjustment. The parish comprises 2240 statute acres, chiefly under tillage, though there is some good pasture : the land is in general good, and there is no waste ; fuel is scarce and only to be obtained from the bog of Narraghmore, about two miles distant. Here are quarries of sandstone and pebble limestone, which latter is burnt for manure. The village of Timolin contains 34 houses : fairs are held there on Easter-Monday and on June 28th. The Seven Denominations constituting part of the Vicarage of Killelan are now entirely separated from the Union of Timolin : they were for some time considered to be under the patronage of the Archbishop, but Sir Richard Steele lately advanced a claim to them, and has succeeded in recovering them and in establishing his right to the vicarage of Killelan. The living is a vicarage, in the diocese of Dublin, united time immemorially to the rectory and vicarage of Belan and the vicarages of Moone and Rathtoole, together constituting the union of Timolin, in the patronage of thie Archbishop ; the rectory is appropriate to the vicars choral and minor canons of the cathedrals of St. Patrick and Christ-church, Dublin ; the tithes amount to £191. 5., of which £127. 10. is payable to the appropriators, and £63. 15. to the vicar. There is a glebe-house, with a glebe of 20 acres, in the parish of Moone, The church is a plain building with a neat tower, for the repairs of which the Ecclesiastical Commissioners have recently granted £242. In the R. C. divisions the parish forms part of the union or district of Castle-Dermot ; the chapel is a plain spacious edifice. The Society of Friends have a meeting-house at Ballitore. In Timolin is the parochial school, aided by an annual donation from the vicar, in which are about 6 boys and 20 girls ; and there is a school in connection with the Society of Friends. There are also three private schools, in which are about 380 children.


Irish Times subscribers | | John Grenham | | Sitemap | | Login | | Subscribe | | Contact | | FAQs | | What's new?| | Privacy policy

Copyright © John Grenham 2021