All entries for Kilmeage



Kilmeage

More information on Samuel Lewis' Topographical Dictionary of Ireland (1837)
Accompanying Lewis map for Kildare

KILMAOGUE

KILMAOGUE, or KILMAGUE, a parish, in the barony of CONNELL, county of KILDARE, and province of LEINSTER, 6? miles (N. by E.) from Kildare ; containing 3004 inhabitants. This parish, through which the Grand Canal passes, comprises 6511 statute acres, as applotted under the tithe act ; there is much bog, and agriculture is improving. A patent exists for fairs on May 25th, June 29th, and Sept. 25th, but none are held. The principal seats are New Park, the residence of J. Pimm, Esq. ; Doro Ville, of W. Ireland, Esq. ; and Annsboro', of G. Nelson Wheeler, Esq. The living is a rectory and vicarage, in the diocese of Kildare, episcopally united in 1782 to the rectory and vicarage of Rathernon and the rectory of Lulliamore, which is a prebend in the cathedral of Kildare, and in the patronage of the Bishop: the tithes amount to #245. 14. 1., and of the benefice to #400. There is a glebe-house, with a glebe of 27a. Or. 21p. The church isa plain edifice, which the Ecclesiastical Commissioners intend to rebuild. In the R. C. divisions it is the head of a union or district, called Allen and Milltown, comprising Kilmaogue, Rathernon, Feighcullen, Rathbride, and Pollardstown, and has a large chapel at the Leap. There are two public schools, in which about 220 children are educated, and five private schools, in which are about 170 children, also a Sunday school. Here are several Danish forts. A new village is being erected in the centre of the parish, under the superintendence of the Rev. A. J. Preston, which is intended to be "a refuge for Protestants. "-See ROBERTSTOWN.

ROBERTSTOWN

ROBERTSTOWN, a market-town, in the parish of KILMAOGUE, barony of CONNELL, county of KILDARE, and province of LEINSTER, 7 miles (N.) from Kildare ; containing 47 houses and 281 inhabitants. It is situated on the Grand Canal, and is one of the packet-boat stages from the metropolis, from which, by this conveyance, it is about 20 miles distant: there is a branch canal hence to Athy. The market is on Wednesday, and several fairs are held in the course of the year. A constabulary police force is stationed in the town, and there is a dispensary for the poor. The town is the property of W. Ireland, Esq., of Doroville.


Irish Times subscribers | | John Grenham | | Sitemap | | Login | | Subscribe | | Contact | | FAQs | | What's new?| | Privacy policy

Copyright © John Grenham 2019