All entries for Killashee



Killashee

More information on Samuel Lewis' Topographical Dictionary of Ireland (1837)
Accompanying Lewis map for Kildare

KILLISHY

KILLISHY, a parish, partly in the barony of EAST OPHALY, but chiefly in that of SOUTH NAAS, county of KILDARE, and province of LEINSTER, 1? mile (S.) from Naas, on the road from that place to Kilcullen ; containing 769 inhabitantS. It comprises 3491 statute acres, as applotted under the tithe act. Killishy House is the residence of - Graydon, Esq. The living is a rectory and vicarage, in the diocese of Kildare, episcopally united to the rectory of Ballymanny, and in the patronage of the Bishop. the tithes amount to #214. 15. 1., and of the union to #251. 13. 6. The church is an ancient building, connected with which is a still more ancient tower, which is circular, on a square base. In the R. C. divisions the parish forms part of the district of Newbridge, and has a neat chapel at Two-mile-town. About 50 children are educated in a public school. A religious house was founded here by St. Patrick, for his nephew, St. Auxil, who died in 454. Close to the churcyard are the remains of an old castle, and near it is a cavern with several ramifications.


Irish Times subscribers | | John Grenham | | Sitemap | | Login | | Subscribe | | Contact | | FAQs | | What's new?| | Privacy policy

Copyright © John Grenham 2019