DONAGHCUMPER, or DONOCOMPER, a parish, in the barony of SOUTH SALT, county of KILDARE, and province of LEINSTER, 2? miles (S. W. by S.) from Leixlip ; containing 1413 inhabitants. This place, which is also called Donocomfert, was distinguished at an early period by its priory for canons of the order of St.Victor, founded in 1202 by Adam de Hereford, in honour of St. Wolstan, Bishop of Worcester, then recently canonized, At the dissolution it was granted to Sir John Alen, the master of the rolls in ireland, and afterwards lord chancellor, who was buried in the parish church, in which, till within a few years, was a monument bearing his effigy. The parish is situated on the road from Dublin to Celbridge, from which latter place it is separated only by the river Liffey, and comprises 4450 statute acres, as applotted under the tithe act. A bridge was erected over the Liffey, near the gate of St. Wolstan's priory, by John Ledleer, in 1308, which is still called New bridge, and consists of four irregular arches ; it was in contemplation to rebuild it in 1794, but in that year a heavy flood having carried away nearly all the bridges on the river, this, which withstood its violence, was suffered to remain. A splendid mansion was erected here by Sir John Alen, on the priory lands, the site of which is now occupied by a handsome modern mansion, called St. Wolstan's, the seat of Richard Cane, Esq. The grounds, which are tastefully laid out and kept in the highest order, are watered by the Liffey, towards which they slope gently ; and the demesne is embellished with several portions of the abbey, which have been carefully preserved by the proprietor, and have a beautifully picturesque appearance. At a short distance higher up the river is Donocomper, the seat of William Kirkpatrick, Esq. ; the house has been recently enlarged, in the Tudor style of architecture, and the grounds are tastefully disposed. From both these seats the splendid mansion and noble demesne of Castletown are seen to great advantage, being separated only by the river. A cotton-spinning and weaving manufactory, in which powerooms are employed, has been established here, which, when in full work, affords employment to 100 persons. The living is a rectory, in the diocese of Dublin ; one-half is appropriate to the prebend of Kilmactalway, in the cathedral church of St. Patrick, Dublin, and the other half forms part of the union of Celbridge: the tithes amount to #190, one-half of which is payable to the prebendary, and the other to the incumbent of Celbridge, In the R. C. divisions the parish forms part of the union or district of Celbridge.