KILTOOMY, or KILTORNEY, a parish, in the barony of CLANMAURICE, county of KERRY, and province of MUNSTER, 9- miles (S. W. by S.) from Listowel, on the river Brick ; containing 1728 inhabitants. It comprises 6298 statute acres, as applotted under the tithe act, of which about one-half consists of arable land, and the remainder of marshy land and bog. Limestone gravel is found near Kiltoomy and used for manure. It is in the diocese of Ardfert and Aghadoe ; the rectory is impropriate in the Earl of Cork, and the vicarage forms part of the union of Kilflyn: the tithes, amounting to £120, are payable in equal portions to the impropriator and the vicar. In the R. C. divisions it forms part of the union or district of Lixnaw. The ruins of the old church still exist: it was the cemetery of the Fitzmaurices prior to the erection of the mausoleum near Lixnaw to John, the third Earl of Kerry. Near Shanavally is a chalybeate spring.
LIXNAW, or LISANAW, a village, partly in the parish of KILTORNEY or KILTOOMY, but chiefly in that of KILCARRAGH, barony of CLANMAURICE, county of KERRY, and province of LEINSTER, 5- miles (S. W.) from Listowel, near the high road from Tralee to Tarbert ; containing 397 inhabitants. This place was once the seat of the Earls of Kerry, by whom the castle of Lixnaw was erected ; and the old bridge was built and the town much improved by Nicholas, the third baron of Lixnaw, so early as 1320. The castle was garrisoned in 1600 by Sir Chas. Wilmot's forces, who took it by surprise just when it had been undermined for demolition: they made it the centre of operations in this district until it was taken by Lord Kerry, who here kept Sir Chas. Wilmot's forces at bay, but at length entrusted its defence to his brother Gerald, who was compelled to surrender from want of water. The village is situated near the river Brick, over which, at a short distance from each other, are two st.one bridges: it consists of two streets of tolerably good houses, and contains a spacious R. C. chapel, and a school supported by subscription, to which Mrs. Raymond contributes £6 per annum. A court for the manor of Lixnaw is held every three weeks, on Monday, for the recovery of debts not exceeding 40s. late currency. A patent exists for four fairs, but they are not at present held. Limestone of superior quality, in some places approaching to marble, is found in the vicinity, and worked both for useful and ornamental purposes ; and sea-weed and sand for manure are brought in boats up the river Cashen and thence by the Brick to the town. It is stated that these rivers might be made navigable for larger vessels at a very moderate expense ; and Mr. Nimmo, the government engineer, many years since, suggested a plan for that purpose, and for draining and bringing into cultivation the extensive tracts of marsh and bog in the neighbourhood. The R. C. district of Lixnaw comprises the parishes of Kilcarragh and Kiltoomy, and the greater portions of Dysert, Finuge, Kilshinane, and Kilfeighny ; and contains the chapels of Lixnaw, or Ballinageragh, and Iveamore. The former, which was erected in 1805, has a painting of the crucifixion over the altar, executed in a superior style by an Italian artist. Adjoining the village are the ruins of the old church, and the extensive remains of the ancient castellated mansion of the earls of Kerry ; and on a mount at a short distance to the north-east is a monument, or mausoleum, of John, the third Earl, of a circular form, resting on a square base and terminating in a dome ; whence an extensive view of the surrounding country is obtained. Lixnaw gives the inferior title of Baron to the Marquess of Lansdowne.