All Lewis entries for Kilnaughtin



Kilnaughtin

More information on Samuel Lewis' Topographical Dictionary of Ireland (1837)
Accompanying Lewis map for Kerry

KILNAUGHTEN

KILNAUGHTEN, a parish, in the barony of IRAGHTICONNOR, county of KERRY, and province of MUNSTER, on the southern shore of the river Shannon ; containing, with the post-town of Tarbert (which is described under its own head), 4371 inhabitants. The parish is estimated to comprise about 9960 statute acres, of which 8340 are applotted under the tithe act: the land is in general good and mostly under tillage, and there is a considerable portion of bog in the southern part of the parish. Limestone is brought from Askeyton by the boats employed in conveying turf from Tarbert to Limerick, and used for manure, and the state of agriculture has latterly been much improved. On the estate of Col. Halliburton is a quarry of excellent stone, adapted for flagging and building ; the flags are chiefly sent to Limerick and other places for the streets : the stone for the bridewell and new R. C. chapel at Tarbert was taken from this quarry. The seats are Sallow Glen, the residence of T. W. Sandes, Esq.. a spacious and hand-some mansion, situated in a finely wooded demesne of more than 100 acres extending along the picturesque glen of that name ; Pyrmont, of W. Sandes, Esq., commanding a fine view of the Shannon ; Carrunakilly, of the Rev. F. Sandes ; Lislaghtin Abbey, of Pierce Crosbie, Esq.; Tarbert House, of R. Leslie, Esq., commanding a fine view of the bay of Tarbert and the river Shannon ; Ahanna, of Pierce Leslie, Esq. ; and Leslie Lodge, late the residence of the family of that name, recently purchased by the Hon. Col. D. G. Halliburton. The parish is in the diocese of Ardfert and Aghadoe: the rectory is impropriate in Anthony Raymond, Esq., and the vicarage forms part of the union of Aghavallin and Listowel. Of the tithes, amounting to £267. 9. 4-., two-thirds are payable to the impropriator and the re-mainder to the vicar. The church for this portion of the union, a neat modern building, is near Tarbert. In the R. C. divisions the parish (with the exception of the townland of Kilmurly) forms part of the union or district of Ballylongford, also called the district of Tarbert, at which latter place is a handsome chapel of recent erection. At Sallow Glen is a school supported by Mr. Sandes ; near Tarbert is a school on Erasmus Smith's foundation, with two acres of land and an excellent house for the master ; and a third school is chiefly supported by the Methodists of Tarbert. In these and in four private schools about 260 children are educated. The ruins of the old church at Kilnaughten still remain in the burial-ground ; and at Kilmurly, or Kilmacrehy, are vestiges of another old church or chapel. On the eastern side of the creek of Ballylongford are the picturesque ruins of the abbey of Lislaghtin, founded by O'Conor Kerry for Franciscans of the strict observance: the tower, choir, and several other parts of the buildings remain ; these ruins, with the modern mansion, are in the parish of Aghavallin.

TARBERT

TARBERT, an island, port and post-town, in the parish of KILNAUGHTEN, barony of IRAGHTICONNOR, county of KERRY, and province of MUNSTER, 26 miles (N. E.) from Tralee, and 126 (S. W.) from Dublin ; containing 956 inhabitants. The seigniory of Tarbert, including the island of that name, was granted by Jas. I. to Patrick Crosbie, Esq., on condition of his keeping on these lands several Irish families brought hither from the King's county, which condition was fulfilled by him and the subsequent proprietors. At the Revolution the seigniory was granted to the family of Leslie. The town is advantageously situated on the southern bank of the Lower Shannon, about 35 miles below Limerick, and at the head of the bay to which it gives name ; and though irregularly built it has, on the whole, a neat appearance. In 1831 it comprised 148 houses, since which period it has been much improved and enlarged by the erection of some neat dwelling-houses, and extensive cornstores, a spacious R. C. chapel, and a national school. Being the landing-place for passengers from Dublin and Limerick to Tralee and the lakes of Killarney, and being situated on one of the high roads from Limerick to the latter places, it has a good hotel and other accommodations for travellers. Tarbert has a considerable and increasing export trade in corn, butter, pigs, and other agricultural produce raised in the surrounding district, and chiefly sent to Limerick, with which city and the town of Kilrush it has a communication, in summer daily, and in winter on alternate days, by the vessels of the Inland Steam Navigation Company : the voyage to the former place is generally performed in four hours. About 50,000 barrels of grain, and 25,000 pigs, are annually exported, and the export of butter during the season averages about 200 firkins per month. A variety of articles are imported from Limerick, and the import trade is likely to be much increased in consequence of the recent erection, by Mr. Jas. Patterson, of Kilrush, of an extensive store for general merchandise. Fairs are held on Feb. 20th, Easter-Monday, June 22nd, July 20th, Aug. 12th, and Dec. 11th. The bay of Tarbert extends between the town and an island of the same name, and being capable of affording a safe and commodious roadstead for about 150 vessels of the largest class, may be considered an asylum harbour ; it is formed by a deep bight terminated by a small river flowing into it near the town, and is sheltered on the north-west side by the Island of Tarbert, which latter is however insulated only at extraordinary high water of spring tides, being connected with the mainland by a narrow causeway for foot passengers, which is proposed to be superseded by a bridge. An excellent road from the town to the island has been constructed along the shore of the bay by the Steam Navigation Company, for the convenience of passengers, there being at present no nearer point of embarkation than the inner side of the island. A pier is also in progress of erection on the south-east side of the island, at a point recommended by Capt. Mudge in his report to the Board of Public Works, by which the company is expected to be aided in its erection, the trade of the port being at present much checked for want of such an accommodation. On the island, which is about a mile from the town, is a battery, and bomb-proof barrack mounting seven 24-pounders and two howitzers, erected, with several others, during the late continental war, for the protection of the trade of Limerick. Here is also a revenue station, under the Board of Customs, of which the establishment consists of a surveyor and six boatmen. A light-house (completed in 1835) has been constructed on the extreme northern point of the island, which now enables vessels to run for this anchorage at night, when driven from those of Carrigaholt and Scattery. In the town is a station of the constabulary police, and petty sessions for the district are held on alternate Tuesdays. A small but neat and substantial bridewell was erected in 1831.

The parochial church, a neat modern edifice, is situated about a quarter of a mile east of the town. The R. C. chapel is a handsome cruciform structure, lately erected at an expense of £1200 : there is also a meeting house for Wesleyan Methodists. Near the town is a school on Erasmus Smith's foundation ; a national school has been recently established near the chapel ; and a school is held in the Wesleyan meeting-house. There is a dispensary for the poor. The shores of the bay and river are prettily wooded, and both above and below the town are embellished with several handsome seats, most of which command fine views of the Shannon and of the opposite coast of the county of Clare. Of these the principal are Tarbert House, the residence of Robt. Leslie, Esq. ; Ahanna, of Pierce Leslie, Esq. ; Leslie Lodge, lately the residence of another branch of that family, and now the property of Lord Haliburton ; Shannon Lawn, of D. Harnett, Esq. ; Clare View, of the Rev. R. Fitzgerald ; Ballydonohue, of Thos. Fitzgerald, Esq. ; Pyrmount, of W. Sandes, Sen., Esq. ; Sallow Glen, of W. Sandes, Esq. ; and Carrunakilly, of the Rev. F. Sandes. In a field near the town is a chalybeate spa, not used for medicinal purposes.


Irish Times subscribers | | John Grenham | | Sitemap | | Login | | Subscribe | | Contact | | FAQs | | What's new?| | Privacy policy

Copyright © John Grenham 2021